Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Insensitive Teacher

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  • 25 Replies

My DD missed 3 days of school last week because she was sick. On day 2, I e-mailed her teachers to ask for any homework she could work on at home so she wouldn't get too behind. I heard back from just about every teacher except for the one that she has for 2 different classses. Once we got my DD on antibiotics she started improving and was able to go back to school on Friday. She had a tournament out of state that weekend and the whole team left school at 11:00am on Friday. (This is the one and only time of the year that they do this.)

Before leaving my DD spoke to all of her teachers about what she missed and also handed in all the work she had done while she was sick. All of her teachers were extremely impressed that she was able to catch up so quickly. However, when she spoke to the teacher that she has 2 classes with, the teacher got angry with her that she would miss her other class that afternoon for the tournament. My DD specifically asked for everything she missed and would be missing that afternoon.

Well the next week, I was checking her grades online and this teacher posted that she got an F on a quiz that was given that Friday afternoon when my DD was not there. She never told my DD that she would be missing a quiz. So my DD spoke to her about it yesterday and she said it was too late to make up the quiz and it was her choice to "skip" her class that day.

I told my DD that I would contact the teacher and talk to her about the situation but my DD begged me not to because the teacher would take it out on her and that she actually seems to like her now. (This teacher doesn't really like anyone and is very hard on her students so she must be seeing that my DD is making an effort).

To make matters worse, my DD woke up this morning with a bad stomach ache, diarhea, and nausea and refused to stay home because this teacher would get upset with her if she missed anymore school.

What would you do? I don't want to piss this teacher off but this is ridiculous.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopesNDreams
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:38 AM
5 moms liked this
I'm sorry to say that I side with the teacher here. Your daughter chose to miss for something non-academic after missing three days. While the teacher could have chosen to be more accommodating, she did not. I would view it as if she was so sick that she missed most of the week of school, she's too sick to be going to the tournament. The fact that she is sick again already supports this. I think having her miss the Friday class was a poor judgement call and the teacher is within her rights to not offer a make-up.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:01 AM
5 moms liked this
Go to the principal. The teacher may not even be following district policy on makeup work and school trips. Our district is 1 day for every day missed to turn in missed work. As for missing a class due to school related activities, a makeup quiz would be allowed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:10 AM

I agree with this.  Your daughter made a poor choice and is paying the price.  Also, it's not your fight, it's hers.  She needs to deal with the teacher.  Also, whoever is the coach that took her on that trip needs an earful too.

Quoting HopesNDreams:

I'm sorry to say that I side with the teacher here. Your daughter chose to miss for something non-academic after missing three days. While the teacher could have chosen to be more accommodating, she did not. I would view it as if she was so sick that she missed most of the week of school, she's too sick to be going to the tournament. The fact that she is sick again already supports this. I think having her miss the Friday class was a poor judgement call and the teacher is within her rights to not offer a make-up.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM
3 moms liked this

I would speak to the teacher and then possibly the principal. Your child is in an extracurricular activity and she had a responsibility to both the teacher and the team. The teacher has a responsibility to respond to your email and your child tried to take care of her responsibility. The teacher should have at least told you there was a quiz and your child could have made arrangements. The student can't fight a teacher battle, so the parent must step in.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:31 AM
2 moms liked this
I would contact the teacher. Tell her you didn't get the homework she requested, never knew she was missing a quiz and if the teacher doesn't let her make up the work and the quiz you will go higher up. The teacher cannot do this.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this

I disagree.  In our district, the student athlete/activity bound has an obligation to the classroom FIRST.  They sign a form understanding that IF they do not make arrangements prior to the event one on one with the teacher, then they may NOT make it up.  There are several problems with this situation from the OP.  First, and foremost, her student is in HIGH SCHOOL.  The rotors need to be landed.  The ONLY person that should be contacting the teacher is the STUDENT.   Second, the OP and the coach should never have allowed this student to travel based on her prior absences.  Again in our district if you miss a day prior to an event, you do NOT participate.  Academics should always come first.  The only person that the OP should be contacting is the coach, who signed off on this mess.  As a student who is heading off to college and/or the workforce, she/he needs to take ownership of the communication with the instructors.  This is NOT elementary school.

Quoting atlmom2:

I would contact the teacher. Tell her you didn't get the homework she requested, never knew she was missing a quiz and if the teacher doesn't let her make up the work and the quiz you will go higher up. The teacher cannot do this.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this
That is terrible. She did communicate with the teacher and she didn't communicate back though. Your district has too strict of rules. Wayyy too strict.

Quoting mjande4:

I disagree.  In our district, the student athlete/activity bound has an obligation to the classroom FIRST.  They sign a form understanding that IF they do not make arrangements prior to the event one on one with the teacher, then they may NOT make it up.  There are several problems with this situation from the OP.  First, and foremost, her student is in HIGH SCHOOL.  The rotors need to be landed.  The ONLY person that should be contacting the teacher is the STUDENT.   Second, the OP and the coach should never have allowed this student to travel based on her prior absences.  Again in our district if you miss a day prior to an event, you do NOT participate.  Academics should always come first.  The only person that the OP should be contacting is the coach, who signed off on this mess.  As a student who is heading off to college and/or the workforce, she/he needs to take ownership of the communication with the instructors.  This is NOT elementary school.

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Just because the daughter said that she communicated doesn't mean that she did.  It's the student's responsibility and frankly if she wants to stay eligible she will deal with it.  Helicopter parenting in high school has adverse effects.  Her daughter is right.  The teacher will NOT respond well and it will probably be counterproductive.  Considering the number of student athletes that I currently have at the Division 1 level on full rides and competing, I don't think it's too strict at all.

Quoting atlmom2:

That is terrible. She did communicate with the teacher and she didn't communicate back though.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Aren't you pessimistic. We can agree to disagree here.

Quoting mjande4:

Just because the daughter said that she communicated doesn't mean that she did.  It's the student's responsibility and frankly if she wants to stay eligible she will deal with it.  Helicopter parenting in high school has adverse effects.  Her daughter is right.  The teacher will NOT respond well and it will probably be counterproductive.  Considering the number of student athletes that I currently have at the Division 1 level on full rides and competing, I don't think it's too strict at all.

Quoting atlmom2:

That is terrible. She did communicate with the teacher and she didn't communicate back though.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:44 AM

But how can she make arrangements prior to the event if her teacher never told her about the quiz? Hard to plan to make something up if you aren't informed of it.

I do agree that after missing the 3 days prior, she should not have gone to the tourament. When I was in high school, if you missed school on a Fri, you could not participate in a game/event on Sat. But that's over and done w/- no point arguing about it now.

Quoting mjande4:

Quoting atlmom2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN