Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

My 13 yr old has bad additude

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
  • 10 Replies
I have a 13 yr old we haven't been getting along that much I ask her to lose here additude or lose her privelages I love but she acts like she don't care about anything I say or do for her she won't even hug me what's going on am I doing something wrong
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momcat437
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

No, you're not doing anything wrong--you're just a parent who's going through the same thing we all did, or are still doing:  dealing with a new teenager. As soon as they hit 13, they're aliens and we have no idea what happened to the child we once knew and loved.  All I can say is be firm, be reasonable, be consistent, and most of all, be kind.  Don't let her run you over--you're her parent, not her friend, and she needs to remember that.  Ignore the attitude, no matter how bad it gets, and stick to your guns.  If consequences are necessary, then give them (this is where the "reasonable" part comes in). Don't let your emotions get the best of you.  I have six kids (four grown and two teens at home), so I know what you're going through!  Be patient, and saying a prayer here and there helps immensely as well! 

kidsnme1982
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Thankyou for the advice
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Follow through with any threats about the attitude.

My son is 13, and he's started having an attitude too and not wanting to give hugs. Part of it is the age. :(

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 5, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Sounds like you are doing very right!    She is at that awkward age..... attitude, moodiness, etc.   Stand firm.. she will come around.

LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:13 PM

When the child seems like they hate you you are doing the right thing.  Right now she is simmering.  Let her.  You will know when the time is right to talk.  Obviously there is something going on that is deeper than a respect issue.  When my SS turned 13 he was on the brink of becoming out of control.  It took me, his father, and his mother to set him straight.  We all had to be on the same page to get results.  Turns out he was issues with other kids.  We were able to talk him through it and he was able to work things out.  Since then we have been like every other family with a teen.  lol.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:14 PM

I have a 13 yo girl. They are a pain aren't they? Love her to death but yeah the attitude is annoying. You haven't done anything wrong. She's just EXTREMELY hormonal. I screw with my kid when she acts like that. (And I absolutely do not get offended by anything she comes back with. Rule #1!!)

For example: In the car - I sing very loudly and dance while sticking my fingers in her face. God she hates that

The other day, I knocked on her door and said knock knock. She said come in. I said you're supposed to say who's there. She said FINE! WHO'S THERE! I said banana. She said I'M NOT DOING THAT! I said FINE! APPLE! And walked in to her kinda smiling.

When she won't get up in the morning, I jump up and down on her mattress or I tickle her ears and nose with her hair. She gets a little mad but she kinda laughs and smiles.

I scream her name from the other side of the house to come here. When she gets there, I smile and say I love you! That usually gets me an eye roll and a stomp.

Simply put, I just screw with her and then I laugh at her. She gets a little mouthy and gives me dirty looks sometimes but I think it is friggin hilarious. She doesn't have to be the only pain in the ass in the house. HAHAHAHAHA

krise
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:20 PM

ugh mine has a horrible attitude but she keeps wanting to hug me and cuddle with me it's a good thing but she knows I don't like to be touched and I feel she is using that lol 

arkmomma06
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 6:40 PM
I know what your going through!!
luvligrl323
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Thank GOD for this group. My daughter was abducted by an alien at the age of 12. It took me a few sad months to realize my sweet baby was gone. I always say "it all started with an eye roll". She is almost 14 now and I've got to say she has gotten slightly better, I try not to let it get to me when she refuses my hugs and kisses or I get a digusted look after I tell her I love her. I know she is still in there and as long as she is not being disrespectful (which I'm lucky she hasn't been) I can deal with the monster. Once in a while I see a glimpse of my baby. All of that is worth it. One thing that is important is to stick to your guns. Don't overreact but when you do give a consequence, stick to it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
only_hope
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 5:04 AM

I do hope and pray the same thing especially that I am away with my children, that they are stubborn and having a bad attitude.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)