Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How old is too old?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
  • 26 Replies

So I have soon-to-be 16 yr old ss.  He is already acting like the young man I hoped he would become.  My question is this: "How old is too old to invite family to a birthday party?"  I want to invite family because it is a big birthday but I don't want to embarrass him either.  I know he just wants to hang with friends (and I encourage that) but I also want to let him know that the family is proud of him.  Am I overcompensating for the birthday I never had?  Advice?

shrugging

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

You could either throw 2 parties, one for family and the other for friends...or, have an Open House type party.  Kinda like for graduation.  This way friends and family can come and go throughout the allotted time and everyone gets to celebrate with your young man without those seemingly awkward moments.

PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I always have a huge BBQ for the kids and family together works out great.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think any age is too old for a family Birthday.  If you want to have a family party for him then do so.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM
2 parties. I would never invite family to a teen party where their friends are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Genie2
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Ask him!  That is what I did.

just_hc
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I did 2 parties for my son.  One were we took him and his friends out to ride go-carts and have fun.  Another at the house for family and close friends.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 5, 2013 at 1:35 PM

We've always done two parties. My family doesn't want to have a party with my son's friends. They want a celebration where they would have more time with my son.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM
1 mom liked this

it is never too old.

but I would ask him all the same what he wants to do for his bday.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 5, 2013 at 2:24 PM

His choice.   If he just wants his friends, fine.    Throw a seperate get together for family.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM

I agree with two parties or do what my mom did. I had a party with family and after a few hours I left the party to go out with my friends and celebrate with them. The adults didn't care because they were having fun hanging out with each other.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN