Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Are You Judgemental of Large Groups of Teens?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
  • 7 Replies

'Rowdy' Teens Rescue Toddlers From Attempted Kidnapping

Posted by Jeanne Sager

playgroundTeenagers get a bad rap, especially when they're in big groups acting rowdy. But here's a lesson for moms who give their teens grief for hanging out with their pals and doing nothing. When a would-be child abductor tried to grab toddlers in a Florida park on Saturday, it was the group of loud teens who came to their rescue.

The story goes that Sharaya Smith had taken her 3-year-old daughter and 4-year-old nephew to the park to play, and she'd told the noisy teens to knock it off. Fortunately the kids didn't hold it against her when a man came out of the woods and made for the toddlers.

Smith wasn't able to grab the little kids and get away, so when she shouted for help, the teenagers formed a circle around her and the kids until she could get them safely into her car. She then called the cops who arrested a man named Bienvenido Cintron and charged him with attempted kidnapping.

How lucky was she that those teens were there? And that they did the right thing?

Smith is calling the teenagers her heroes, and she's more than a little embarrassed that she'd yelled at them earlier.

Let's face it: the attitude she had at the beginning of the ordeal is exactly why letting your teen hang out with a group of other kids can be scary for moms. People are scared of teens just hanging out, and they judge the heck out of them.

But as this little rescue mission so clearly reminds us, most teenagers are generally good kids. And when you get a bunch of good kids together, you never know what they'll do ... maybe save a mom and two kids from a kidnapper?

Do you judge groups of teenagers? What goes through your mind?

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Actually groups of teens don't really bother me. As long as they aren't doing anything illegal, or overtly inappropriate I think to myself "enjoy it while you can". Adulthood sets in soon enough.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:08 PM
Doesn't get on my radar unless they are loud or doing something bad I can see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 5, 2013 at 5:48 PM

I am around large groups of teens daily at work so no I don't judge them and I'm not bothered by them when I see them out and about. 

When I was a teen, my friends and I dressed and 'looked different' from everyone else. We were into the punk rock scene and I know by the looks we got from adults that we were feared and judged. I remember one evening at the diner, where we hung out, one of the regular waitresses told us how intimidated she was the first time she waited on us and was totally surprised by how nice and polite we all were to her.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:12 PM

No but they get on my nerves if they are acting silly and being loud. Especially in restaurants.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Depending on what the group of teenagers are doing.  Cussing up a storm and destroying the place?  Yeah I judge the hell out of them.  Cheering each other on in a video game?  Nope, what do I care?  I have teens and they hang out in groups so what? 

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 11:48 PM
Judge them? No. Leary of them? Yes. But that's with any large group of people. I'm not good in large groups so they kind of freak me out. I'm OCD crazy counting people when I'm with my group of friends somewhere that has a lot of people.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:31 AM
I feel the same

Quoting atlmom2:

Doesn't get on my radar unless they are loud or doing something bad I can see.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)