Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

UPDATE - Teen Giving Up On Grades

Posted by   + Show Post

Before :

Ladies I need some help!!!  My 15 yr old ss just got his report card today. (not the best)  He got 2 F's in English and History, 1 A, 3 B's, and 2 C's.  The classes mentioned have been hard subjects for him in the past.  He is more of a numbers person.  With these grades and his attitude I am worried.  He looked totaly defeated with his head down when he walked in today.  How am I supposed to help him?  He refused tutoring, my help, teacher's help.  I am lost.  I need to nip this before it gets worse like I fear it will.

NOW: 

DH was finally able to get SS to open up.  He told him that he was upset around that time because that was when his Grandmother had gotten really sick and was in and out of the hospital.  (She was his primary mother figure throughout his early childhood.)  It was also around the same time when she was forced to move to an area where she had more family support due to her illness.  We were able to get him to talk to teachers and he is getting help in the subjects he was having a hard time.  I continue to check his grades on the net now that I have it and have become more involved in his school career.  I just wanted to say thank you to all who gave advice.  We are doing better now and owe it to you.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Replies (11-12):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM
My kids had to have C's or better for drivers ed. I kinda agree. Get a little stricter. If the tutoring works now great, but keep up on his grades through the internet. Just because something is hard is no excuse for an F. He was not trying at all.

Quoting sabrtooth1:

If my kid walked in with 2 F's, they would NOT be getting a Sweet16 blow out party, like you have indicated in another post.  A kid who refuses tutoring, teacher help, & parent help, would ALSO find themselves WITHOUT Driver's Ed, a permit, any electronic device, any spending money, any time with friends.  He would also be permanently cemented to a kitchen chair, while I watch him do his homework, and study for tests.  REFUSE?  Not in THIS house!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsBLB
by on Feb. 11, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Good to hear!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN