Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My 12 yr old daughter has developed phobias

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM
  • 10 Replies

My daughter has developed a phobia where she will not eat anything that she suspects has nuts.  She is afraid of washing as the soap may give her a rash that will turn into her throat closing.  She is afraid of taking medicine too.  She is seeing a therapist but I am at my wits end.

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Sorry, don't know what to tell you. Hope she gets better. Give counseling a chance to work.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:00 PM

This will take a lot of patience on your part. It will take time for her to get past this. Having her see a therapist is great; if this one doesn't seem to help, don't give up on therapy, she just may need a different one. Just like it can take time to find the right meds for mental illness, it can take some time to find the right therapist to help.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:23 PM
Mom, sounds like a form of OCD . It isn't always over repeating an action, or not stepping on black tiles or something, is manifests in many ways ....paranoia for instance .... Only she isn't paranoid about people, but of having an allergic reaction.

All I can do until she is evaluated by a psychiatrist is tell you there is a hospital grade non soap wash called " Purpose" by J&J

You'll find it on the bottom shelf with the bar soaps or the area least paid attention ( product placement is paid for, ya know)
That may at least get her to bathe explaining that it isn't soap, it's what hospitals use to clean wounds so it absolutely HAS to be hypoallergenic and no soap or perfume.
Good luck, this sounds rough.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
3mom627
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I agree with that the others have said. Time. Sorry I don't have any better advice.

3MOM627

have a nice day

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:49 PM
It is OCD and will take time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Frustrated1126
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:19 PM

OMG that is a great idea.  I did buy J & J baby soap, which she uses sparingly on specific parts of her face.  She showers and washes her hair & private parts tho, very odd, the things she targets.

I need also to mention she was on the mini pill which mimics OCD in that the chemicals lower seratonin levels that lead to having false fears.   We are off the pill but her pedi says it will take at least 2 cycles before her hormones get back to normal.

bluelola
by Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Good luck.... just wondering why she was on the mini pill?  If it was for bad periods, maybe just Naproxen when the period starts. 

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Take her to a psychiatrist.  She has severe problems.  You need counseling, too, to learn how to parent her, and to find out what triggered all this.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Does she have an alergy to nuts?

krise
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My DD did this when she turned 12 for some reason everything freaked her out.. It drove me batter.. I acted like I didn't care or blew it off and she stopped. Took a few wks but it worked for me anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)