Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

freshman DS grades are slipping...how to help?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
  • 10 Replies

My son just turned 15 and is a freshman in HS.  He is really bright, not the hardest worker, but has always been able to do well in school.  His report card came out the other day and we were really disappointed in his grades...mostly C's.  I touched base with his teachers and most of them said he lacks focus and hasn't been completing assignments. 

My older son (17) is very troubled...emotional issues, drugs, etc.  Between his issues and his doctors and therapy, he is the focus of most of the attention around the house. 

It occured to me that maybe my younger son feels like you have to mess up to get attention?  any suggestions on how I can get him back on track and provide some positive attention? 

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabyangy
by Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:42 PM
2 moms liked this

I would take 15 minutes every day and just talk to him or do something with him.  Maybe it will show him the you are interested in what he does.

Good luck!

MrsBLB
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Quoting gabyangy:

I would take 15 minutes every day and just talk to him or do something with him.Ā  Maybe it will show him the you are interested in what he does.

Good luck!

Great advice.
MrsBLB
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 1:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep the lines of communications open always.
MJP76
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I've been told ( because DD is also a freshman) that this is a phase a lot of teens go through because of the transition..

we are just constantly on her and we keep reminding her to work harder...DD has always struggled with certain subject, but has seemed to get worse this year.. We just try to be supportive, and stry to stay on her when the grade is something that is completely within her control ...like Homework.. Because DH is hear to help her.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:57 PM

write up a contract about school work. Put in it that missed assignments or not completed ones will result in punishment. List the punishments. Also include rewards for doing his school work and doing it well.This way it is cut and dry No gray areas.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 6, 2013 at 8:16 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to him!   Ask him how is is feeling regarding school, his brother, life in general.    Maybe you can try to take him to lunch or dinner once a week.....alone.   One on One time is crucial.    

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:06 PM

This, make the effort!

Quoting gabyangy:

I would take 15 minutes every day and just talk to him or do something with him.  Maybe it will show him the you are interested in what he does.

Good luck!

pocmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM
1 mom liked this

Some good advice here - this is a tough time for teens anyway.  Couple that with older sib having issues; spend one on one time with DS, both to talk about school but also to just listen to him.  What I found helpful with my DS is if  we are doing something usual (i.e. driving to school or running errands) - I just let him talk (you will find out a LOT of information this way) - he steers the conversation - don't jump in, just listen without judging or providing your advice (unless he asks for it).  At other times, keep the converation light, fun, corny even.  What you are doing is building or enhancing the ability for him to say anything, ANYTHING to you and realize that he is safe, loved, and OK.  I think its' important to also reiterate your expectations (good grades, etc.) and the consequences that go along with not meeting expectations.  But bottom line, continuing to let him know that you view him in his own right (apart from sib), his issues are real and meaningful to you and that you will continue to support, love, discipline, reward, love and did I say, love? him nonetheless.  Good luck Mom with this child and your older one - parenting is sooooo difficult, but is there any greater blessing?  Hang in there and here's a big, big hug for you.

karenb941
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:58 PM

thanks for all the support and good advice. we are setting expectations for school with him and  i plan to focus on the one on one time with him.  hope that will help.

PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 8:12 PM

Have you talked with him?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN