Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Raising Boys

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM
  • 12 Replies

My 17 yr old is sneaking out to hang out and get Hi with his so called friends. I've done everything to prevent it and now I'm just not sure what to do anymore.

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Alarm the windows.    If you know he is getting high, take away his driving priveledges.

Crazyday112
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

I sold  his car and his phone over 6 months ago because he and I made a deal. I always keep my promises to him.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:50 PM

make him sleep on the floor of your bedrom if thats the only way to stop him. Only allow him out for school and work if he has a job. Shadow him.

MommyTo5Boys
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:51 PM

My oldest is 15 so I haven't got there yet (fingers crossed hopefully never). But I will be watching this post for answers that I may need in the future :)

LilySlim Weight loss tickers
Crazyday112
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestion!

Jebekarue
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 7:55 PM

My son will be 17 next week and getting his license in March.  So far so good, he is a great kid.  I have no compliants other than the usual mouthing off and his grades, which aren't great but he isn't failing either. 

Sorry you are going thru that with him.  We have our windows/doors alarmed anyway so he knows that wont work if he did try to sneak out.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:09 PM

wow, not advice but good luck!

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Get a drug and alcohol evaluation and see if he needs out or inpatient treatment
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pocmom
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:59 AM

I'm sorry you're going through it Mom : - (  Other moms have given great advice so far; at this point, honestly you don't have many other optlions (if you've taken his driving privileges. his house key, alarmed the windows, etc.) other than reporting him and as a Mom myself, I would have a really hard time doing that. However, remind him that he will be 18 soon and that the choices he makes today affect his future.  If, heaven forbid when he's 18, he gets caught up, there won't be anything you can do to help him (depending on where you live - where I live at 18 you are an adult).  Continue to talk with him (when he's sober) about his choices and also why he gets high - is there something he's missing, he wants, he feels bad about - is he self-medicating, is it peer pressure, etc.  You could also consider getting some professional help for him (and for you too Mom - this is a tough issue you are dealing with and I'm sure it's hurtful to you).  You want to make sure you are doing what you can now to help him.  If he accepts it, that's wonderful, if not, then Mom I think you will have done all you can.  Sometimes it's a hard lesson for our young'uns to learn and it's not easy for us to watch either.  Here's a big, big hug for you - I hope everything turns out fine for you and DS.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I'm sorry.

I have no experience with your situation. My advice is to try everything possible under the sun to intervene now, while he's a minor.

Good luck!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)