Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

not sure if this is good or bad

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
  • 13 Replies

My senior has only 2 in school classes this last term, and gets out at 11:15 every day.  They are very hard classes, for her, but still it is only two classes.  

On one hand, I wish she had a bigger load so that she was at school longer since this is her last bit of high school. I just remember how fun senior year was. 

The other hand Im hopeful this will help her learn some time management for college.  I always found it harder to manage study time when I had an abundance of time, rather than when I was limited in time.  The temptation for procrastination is so much greater.

And still on another hand, yes I have three hands, Im THRILLED to have so much more time with her before she is out of the house.  She even asked if we could start hiking together.  I love to hike and often squeeze one or two in while the kids are at school.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:34 AM
If my senior had only 2 classes they would have to be working. That would be the only way I would allow them to take only 2 classes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:38 AM

she is working. her third class is work-experiance... but it isnt an in school class.

Quoting atlmom2:

If my senior had only 2 classes they would have to be working. That would be the only way I would allow them to take only 2 classes.

MJP76
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:09 PM

I had half days by the time I was in the 10th grade, so I could work ( I was 16 and I. The 10th grade, so I drove)

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:55 PM

Good thing!   Enjoy the extra time with her.    My sons only had a couple classes senior year....it is the right fo passage, so to speak.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:37 PM

My dd stacked her schedule freshman through junior year so she could have a light load her senior year. She also got out of school early for work experience.

PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM

She will do fine, the kids seem to work well under these terms.

PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:53 PM

Quoting atlmom2:

I think that would be what I would do as well.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Actually once my DD reached high school (in Aus) we didn't have any say what classes she took except for cooking (cause we had to buy ingrediants) and sewing. My DD did the same thing (was done by 12.30 in year 11) and I had no control over it and her work wasn't able to scedule her till 3.

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting atlmom2:

I think that would be what I would do as well.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Taking just a couple of classes just because you fulfilled graduation requirements is not done here because it does not look good for colleges.  

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:32 AM

I only had 2 classes my senior year and the local college allowed me to take a class there in the afternoon to get a head start on my college classes.  This was a great help, because I didn't have to take as much of a workload when I did start college as some of the other kids, and was able to start taking the "fun" classes quicker.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN