Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Do you always tell your kids the truth?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
  • 28 Replies

When your teen asks you about your past, do you always tell the truth? My dd asked me the other day while studying the reproductive system how old I was when I first had sex. I took a deep breath and told the truth. She didn't bat an eye. I was 17. I went on to tell her I was graduated from high school and was entering my first year of college and that he wasn't the right guy. I think I may have just told her that its okay to have sex at 17!! She has asked about drugs before. I only smoked pot a couple of times and didn't care for it so I didn't have any heartburn answering that question. What do you do? Do you tell the truth or lie your butt off?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:29 PM
2 moms liked this

I try to tell him as much truth that I think he is ready to handle.  He has seen a lot in his life and is ready for most of it.  It isn't my past I am worried about but his dad's.  He was a bit promiscuous when he was younger.  I think that when you are able to tell them things honestly about your past then they are able to see you better as a person who lived and made mistakes.  This humanizes you and they are able to better relate.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids haven't ever asked me anything that I haven't answered truthfully.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I did. Our dd's knew neither dh and I had sex in HS. Dh and I were each others firsts. Luckily, our girls followed in our foot steps waiting till out of hs. Dd 19 has a boyfriend of !lmost 2 years and is still a virgin.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
It would prob depend on the situation. So far on the sex issue I have been honest when they asked, my answer was nothing I wouldn't want them to hear. About drugs, they haven't asked straight out, I would still be honest though. Just because you told her the truth doesn't mean you condone it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I tell them the truth. I can't hide that I had sex at 16 I have a 14 yr. Old from it. But I also share the struggles that we have had because of our decisions. I tell them I would not change it dir anything in the world but would like them to wait.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Tell the truth.

MJP76
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM
2 moms liked this

I tell the truth always..

we talk to our children regularly about sex, and drugs, and life in general. We are a very open family.

ICanHelp93
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

if you want your child to be honest with you, you have to be honest with them. if she thinks you are lying to her, you will make her feel like it is okay for her to just tell you what you want to hear instead of the truth

mommyneedssleep
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:15 PM
1 mom liked this
I so with both of my kids if they ask. They are 16 and 8 and I figure if I am honest with them, they will be honest with me!!! So far so good
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:01 PM
2 moms liked this

I tell the truth, but not always the entire truth.   I don't go into more detail than necessary.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)