Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you always tell your kids the truth?

Posted by   + Show Post

When your teen asks you about your past, do you always tell the truth? My dd asked me the other day while studying the reproductive system how old I was when I first had sex. I took a deep breath and told the truth. She didn't bat an eye. I was 17. I went on to tell her I was graduated from high school and was entering my first year of college and that he wasn't the right guy. I think I may have just told her that its okay to have sex at 17!! She has asked about drugs before. I only smoked pot a couple of times and didn't care for it so I didn't have any heartburn answering that question. What do you do? Do you tell the truth or lie your butt off?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 12:19 PM
Replies (21-28):
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 8, 2013 at 6:08 AM
2 moms liked this

This~

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I tell the truth, but not always the entire truth.   I don't go into more detail than necessary.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this

It really hasn't been an issue since my teen years were pretty tame.   Also, I don't believe in waiting until marriage to have sex.  I am teaching them that they should be an adult.

MansfieldMama
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:55 AM
2 moms liked this

This is exactly what I do.

Quoting boys2men2soon:

I tell the truth, but not always the entire truth.   I don't go into more detail than necessary.

JustaSM231
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to be open and honest.  I also try to let them know that they need to learn from other people's mistakes but ultimately it's their decision on what they are going to do but they also have to be able to live with the consequences of their choices.  I had sex at 18, 2 weeks before my 19th birthday.  It was the end of my freshman year in college.  He was not the right guy.  I wish I had waited.  I think kids can respect that parents are people too and have made choices in the past that they may regret or wish they could change.  I don't think it gives kids a green light to repeat this behavior, but it may go a long way to making kids understand their parents are humans and can make mistakes too.  And hopefully it will show them that you can relate to what they are going through and thinking and maybe they will come to you first for advice or just to talk.

Buggy979
by Bronze Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes I have. They need to know that mom has had positive and negative experiences that we all learn from. I have nothing to hide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Tell the truth, it says to them that mom was once young and dumb and really does know what she's talking about because as mom's we have been there and done that.

mrjonesii
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes they never asked me but I prob would 

krise
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

Pieces of truth.. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)