Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sever's disease?

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
  • 16 Replies

Hae any of you ever dealt with this with your kids?  Last spring DS was in so much pain he was in a cast for 6 weeks.  Well, over the last week or so the pain has come back and the Alleve is not helping.  When I called the doc yesterday they said to put the cast back on for a couple weeks.  He also told me that since he just turned 14 we might have another 2 years of this to deal with until the bone fuse.  I know several people IRL that had their kids go through it once but never again have a flare up.  So, has anyone else had any repeats after the first diagnosis?

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tiff_R_92
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM
What is that?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
umm.yeah
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 1:27 PM

It is an inflammation in the tissue between the growth plates in the heel/foot.  It causes extreme heel pain and makes walking very painful.  It is supposedly fairly common but I only know of a handful of people that have had their kids go through it. 

Quoting Tiff_R_92:

What is that?

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I have not heard of it before.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 7, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

I have not heard of it before.

Same here.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:50 PM
My son has it. He has pain from his toes to his hips, especially when he's growing. Google it, there's a lot of information on it. Good shoes with a lot of support helps. My son has less pain when he wears Vans. The skateboarder shoes. Advil or Aleve helps. Physical therapy helped too. My son saw a Sports Medicine doctor after he sprained his foot and growth plate on the top of his foot. That's when Severs Disease was diagnosed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Oh and Biofreeze helps a lot. Stretching exercises help too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Although Sever's disease generally heals quickly, it can recur if long-term measures are not taken to protect the heel during a child's growing years. One of the most important is to make sure that kids wear proper shoes. Good quality, well-fitting shoes with shock-absorbent (padded) soles help to reduce pressure on the heel. The doctor may also recommend shoes with open backs, such as sandals or clogs, that do not rub on the back of the heel. Shoes that are heavy or have high heels should be avoided. Other preventive measures include continued stretching exercises and icing of the affected heel after activity.

If the child has a pronated foot, a flat or high arch, or another condition that increases the risk of Sever's disease, the doctor might recommend special shoe inserts, called orthotic devices, such as:

• heel pads that cushion the heel as it strikes the ground
  • heel lifts that reduce strain on the Achilles tendon by raising the heel
  • arch supports that hold the heel in an ideal position

If a child is overweight or obese, the doctor will probably also recommend weight loss to decrease pressure on the heel.

The risk of recurrence goes away on its own when foot growth is complete and the growth plate has fused to the rest of the heel bone, usually around age 15.

umm.yeah
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:11 PM

My son seems to do better in the running style sneakers.  I think what aggrivated it this time was basketball - his basketball shoes don't seem to have as much cushioning as his other sneakers.  His school shoes are about on their last leg so as soon as he is out of the boot we will be getting him new school shoes.  I hate seeing him in so much pain but I just keep reminding him he has to do the stretches every day and it will help.

Quoting tyfry7496:

My son has it. He has pain from his toes to his hips, especially when he's growing. Google it, there's a lot of information on it. Good shoes with a lot of support helps. My son has less pain when he wears Vans. The skateboarder shoes. Advil or Aleve helps. Physical therapy helped too. My son saw a Sports Medicine doctor after he sprained his foot and growth plate on the top of his foot. That's when Severs Disease was diagnosed.

umm.yeah
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Do you have a child that had/has it?

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Although Sever's disease generally heals quickly, it can recur if long-term measures are not taken to protect the heel during a child's growing years. One of the most important is to make sure that kids wear proper shoes. Good quality, well-fitting shoes with shock-absorbent (padded) soles help to reduce pressure on the heel. The doctor may also recommend shoes with open backs, such as sandals or clogs, that do not rub on the back of the heel. Shoes that are heavy or have high heels should be avoided. Other preventive measures include continued stretching exercises and icing of the affected heel after activity.

If the child has a pronated foot, a flat or high arch, or another condition that increases the risk of Sever's disease, the doctor might recommend special shoe inserts, called orthotic devices, such as:

• heel pads that cushion the heel as it strikes the ground
  • heel lifts that reduce strain on the Achilles tendon by raising the heel
  • arch supports that hold the heel in an ideal position

If a child is overweight or obese, the doctor will probably also recommend weight loss to decrease pressure on the heel.

The risk of recurrence goes away on its own when foot growth is complete and the growth plate has fused to the rest of the heel bone, usually around age 15.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)