Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

employment laws in Florida

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM
  • 24 Replies

my son is 16 & has been looking for a job for what seems like forever....but...the labor law here in Florida is making it nearly impossible for anyone younger than 18 to get a job......what is a kid to do if they need a job but the law is against them?  The youth program has had it's funding cut so that they only serve drop outs or kids not in school....has any mom's dealt with this??? frustrated

mom 2 a Princess Diva..<3wearing crown

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:44 PM
My dd's friend got a job at 17 in Florida.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Having JUST looked up the Fl labor laws, which are on line courtesy of the state, I see NOTHING in them to prevent a 16yo from getting a job.   They are prohibited from dangerous occupations, but so are teens in other states.  There is NO work permit needed for 16-17yo's.  They are limited to working 30 hours/week WHILE school is in session, and to working no later than 11pm, WHEN THERE IS SCHOOL THE NEXT DAY.  I do not see that as prohibitive.

Is your son only looking for jobs delivered to him by the government?  If so, I would suggest he get out there and apply at McDonalds, Starbucks, the groceries and all the mall stores just like every other teens.  Dress decently, get rid of gum and cigs, speak intelligent and intelligible English, look the employer in the eye and act like working for them is THE MOST important thing in the world. 

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 10:45 PM

My child isn't old enough but I had this problem as a teen. I had to work but I couldn't get a job bc I didn't have the experience. So, I created my own work. I was the shampoo girl at my aunts salon and only worked for tips. I cleaned houses. I even massaged feet! I wanted money and I was going to get i no matter what. I imagine it is MUCH harder for a teen to find a job in this economy. (I know, believe me. I will be laid off this Monday again!) He will have to become an entrepreneur if he wants to make money.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:37 PM

I'm from florida and had a job at 16.  I don't know of any new laws there that prevents it but with the unemployment rate there it may be difficult to find one.

flprincessmom
by Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 11:59 PM

this is what he and I are being told by each company he applies for or inquires about hiring.......out of all the places he has tried, places he found online and places we have gone to in person,  only 3 of them hire younger than 18, and with this economy grown adults with experience are going for the same position as a teen with NO experience....and I was told today from an employee at a youth job service center that the funding just is not there for any type summer youth programs....we have tried Walmart, Target, all the stores in the malls, supermarkets, food service places, McD's, BK, Taco Bell...where ever we are at any time...including job service centers that have data bases linked to all the job search engines.....it might not be a labor law per se, but it is what we are being told across the board from all the companies....

flprincessmom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:00 AM

how long ago was that? I was told the same thing from native Floridians, but they have also said times have changed and it is pretty much 18 now....

Quoting fantasticfour:

I'm from florida and had a job at 16.  I don't know of any new laws there that prevents it but with the unemployment rate there it may be difficult to find one.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:08 AM

It was a while ago, and I haven't lived there in years, but as another posted pointed out the laws don't prohibit your child from getting a job.  It prohibits your child from working certain hours, handling hazardous materials, or dealing with dangerous equipment.  Those are the same outlines I had when I was a teenager living there, and the same ones here and now in VA.

Quoting flprincessmom:

how long ago was that? I was told the same thing from native Floridians, but they have also said times have changed and it is pretty much 18 now....

Quoting fantasticfour:

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting flprincessmom:

this is what he and I are being told by each company he applies for or inquires about hiring.......out of all the places he has tried, places he found online and places we have gone to in person,  only 3 of them hire younger than 18, and with this economy grown adults with experience are going for the same position as a teen with NO experience....and I was told today from an employee at a youth job service center that the funding just is not there for any type summer youth programs....we have tried Walmart, Target, all the stores in the malls, supermarkets, food service places, McD's, BK, Taco Bell...where ever we are at any time...including job service centers that have data bases linked to all the job search engines.....it might not be a labor law per se, but it is what we are being told across the board from all the companies....

If he wants experience, contact the american red cross, or another community service organization.  They are always in need of people.  He won't get paid but he will be able to show future employers that he has a good work ethic even when not getting paid.

flprincessmom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:13 AM

he has done all this....except the cigs..he has never smoked a day in his life..he is an athlete...he is very serious about wanting a job and is a straight A hard working teen....he doesn't expect ANYTHING to be handed to him....but when employers do not want the liability or have to deal with child labor laws what can one do?

Quoting sabrtooth1:

Having JUST looked up the Fl labor laws, which are on line courtesy of the state, I see NOTHING in them to prevent a 16yo from getting a job.   They are prohibited from dangerous occupations, but so are teens in other states.  There is NO work permit needed for 16-17yo's.  They are limited to working 30 hours/week WHILE school is in session, and to working no later than 11pm, WHEN THERE IS SCHOOL THE NEXT DAY.  I do not see that as prohibitive.

Is your son only looking for jobs delivered to him by the government?  If so, I would suggest he get out there and apply at McDonalds, Starbucks, the groceries and all the mall stores just like every other teens.  Dress decently, get rid of gum and cigs, speak intelligent and intelligible English, look the employer in the eye and act like working for them is THE MOST important thing in the world. 

flprincessmom
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:17 AM

when was this and can I ask which company?

Quoting atlmom2:

My dd's friend got a job at 17 in Florida.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)