Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Help with 13yo girl

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
  • 11 Replies
Hi im a mum n my 13 yo daughter has just started high school- she suffers anxiety and has come home the ladt 2 days very upset n refuses to tell me whats wrong- im not coping well with this, i feel so bad for her. How does everyone cope??? Let slone with my worry gor her n also how shoild i b supporting her?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:22 AM

are there any teachers you can ring? or any friends? I'd start there.

ochoa.mama
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:25 AM
Idkbhow much you can help ,it just be supportive and ask questions and if nothing works just try to make her feel better about herself do something alone time with her
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:36 PM

If she suffers from anxiety, I would hope that she has a counselor that she is seeing regularly. I would think the counselor would have some advice for you specific to your daughter's needs.

I'm surprised that she is in high school already. My 13 year old is in 7th grade.

MJP76
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

If she suffers from anxiety, I would take her to the doc see what he has to say, and I'd probably also homeschool her...

MJP76
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 2:11 PM

It has a lot to do with where your birthday falls. I was 13 and a freshman.. My daughter would have been 14 and a freshman if we didn't hold her back... My husband was also 13 and a freshman... We both graduated when we were 17.

Quoting Barabell:

If she suffers from anxiety, I would hope that she has a counselor that she is seeing regularly. I would think the counselor would have some advice for you specific to your daughter's needs.

I'm surprised that she is in high school already. My 13 year old is in 7th grade.

Luaazzu
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I wouldn't ask people such as teachers or frieds like someone suggested, that;s going to make her more closed off. I'd tell her that I wont force her but I'd like to talk to her to help her.
singlemom416
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Get her some one to talk to,get her a journal she may feel better getting things out that way.Maybe start working out with her that can help with anxiety.Take a long walk and start with small talk until she feels comfortable talking more.Some times if i kind of know whats wrong with my daughter i will start talking about some thing of the same that happened to me when i was younger.I bring it up as a friend at work kid is having problems and i remember what it was like and i pull her into the conversation about what she thinks my friends kid should do.

Disimo
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:36 PM
Hi we live in australia- 12 would b the normal age for high school here :-)

Quoting MJP76:

It has a lot to do with where your birthday falls. I was 13 and a freshman.. My daughter would have been 14 and a freshman if we didn't hold her back... My husband was also 13 and a freshman... We both graduated when we were 17.

Quoting Barabell:

Disimo
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:40 PM
Ok thanks guys- she hasfinally opened up and her friends left her one day- this was the start! Its also to do with the new workload of high school but mostly the friend issue. Does everyone get these issues? But mostly how do u not let it upset yourself so that you can still be there for them?
singlemom416
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I got that alot from my daughter when she started high school.Old friends move on and forget you,that natural for this age group,still hurts though.I got my daughter involved with a teen church group,she could have a friend group outside of school and have some one to do some thing with on Sundays and pushed her to make new friends.When she made a new friend i would get my daughter to invite the friend over and take them out to do stuff,movies,nails shopping.I also got her to join clubs at school for a more diverse group of friends.Worked out great now my kid has friends at church and in 2 different schools and a lot of them live in our area.

Quoting Disimo:

Ok thanks guys- she hasfinally opened up and her friends left her one day- this was the start! Its also to do with the new workload of high school but mostly the friend issue. Does everyone get these issues? But mostly how do u not let it upset yourself so that you can still be there for them?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)