Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Unprepared

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM
  • 5 Replies

This may sound so pathetic and naive but I feel like I don't know my 14 year old daughter.  The reason it may sound pathetic and naive is because I knew her so well up until a year ago. And then she just changed.  I look back at my life and try to remember if I changed that much in such a short span of time.  I know that I changed a lot but I think it was really so much more gradual.  The change in my daughter was just "slap in the face" quick. From the time of her birth I truly did have the teenage years in the back of my mind almost always.  So why so shocked and unprepared? I just don't get it  and I have to say I'm disappointed in myself. How do you take care of yourself and your teenage daughter at the same time?  It seems like it should be instinctual, but it hasn't been with me.  The words always come out of my mouth way to quickly and I spend all my days thinking about what I should have and could have said after the fact and that is just draining. Just feeling so overwhelmed and looking support and guidance wherever I can find it! Sorry for the whining and thanks for reading.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JustaSM231
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

What exactly is going on?  Teenagers tend to start pulling away from their parents and looking more toward peers at this age for support and to establish their identity and social network.  What is your daughter doing that is so shocking?

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:13 PM

From what I've been noticing with my 13 year old son, kids do change A LOT when hitting their teenage years. I think the changes you've seen in your daughter could be normal. Let her know that she can talk to you. Expect her to tell you something when you ask her about her day. If you don't already, start having regular outtings (i.e. a snack at a coffee shop or a walk in a park) with her where you both try to reconnect some.

SuperLooneyMom
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:59 PM
I too am noticing behavioral changes in my 14 yr old son. I agree with the first post. And all we can do is continue to be us and be there. Toods (attitude) and all.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

Is it her first year in HS? That would explain a lot... But yeah.. It would be nice to have more details on what she's doing.

Disimo
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 4:59 PM
Oh im sooooo there! My daughter turned 13 a couple of weeks ago and started high school - the change is very quick- im also struggling with this. I agree does everyone go through this?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)