Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Senioritis

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM
  • 12 Replies
My daughter has taken hard classes throughout high school, but now she's in the 2nd half of her senior year, she's taking extremely easy stuff. I tried to motivate her to take other things, but she got annoyed - she said she had all As in harder courses for the 1st half of the year, which the colleges actually look at as opposed to the 2nd, and she wants a break. She also said she already has the credits she needs to graduate. Should I just let her take what she wants, she's right that it won't matter for college admissions, but I am still annoyed she went to guidance without asking me and switched almost all of her classes to study halls or extremely easy classes.
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pink.Frosting
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM

I did the exact same thing at her age and it didn't hurt a thing.  She's got all her credits for college and she's obviously got the GPA she needs.  I wouldn't get upset over it.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I don't see anything wrong with her taking fun/easy classes the second semester since the colleges won't be looking at those. My DD only has one core class this semester the other 3 are electives and pretty easy ones at that but they are things she likes so its a fun semester for her. Yes she is a senior as well
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 10, 2013 at 4:37 PM
They do look at 2nd semester and can resend their offer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:20 PM

College did look at what applicants were registered to take second semester of senior year.  If it is drastically different they can, and have, rescinded acceptances.  My daughter's schedule is only slightly easier this semester with gym and health on her schedule, which are graduation requirements.  She has two college level courses (English and History) calculus and psychology.  

Edited to add, I would be surprised if the guidance councelor would agree to the change if it would cause the colleges she was accepted to react,negatively.  I know my daughter's guidance councelor has been very involved with the applications and would be aware of how schedule changes effect her acceptances.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:36 PM

Senioritis has happened in our house as well. DD 's last semester of highschool consisited of of Gym,fitness leadership and Writer's craft.  Now her younger brother has acient history,math,english and an art credit. His sister is telling himhe's doing it wrong you need easy courses the last semseter as you have no desire to do any work just the fun stuff.  Now I do have to state this girl graduated as a ontario scholar and got into a very competive program for post secondary. SHe just crusied through the last 4 months of highschool

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:39 PM

true.  did she send in a revised schedule to the college admissions?  or did they make their offers knowing this was her final term schedule?

Quoting atlmom2:

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:40 PM
You get offers in the winter/spring. Still, when you send your final grades, if they suck they can resend it.

Quoting sahlady:

true.  did she send in a revised schedule to the college admissions?  or did they make their offers knowing this was her final term schedule?

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:53 PM

if her college counselor approved the classes I'm pretty sure the classes are ok.Just keep the grades up.On the wall outside our college counselors office is a framed letter...students name and id redacted...from about 6 years ago.Accepted into a prestigious university with all A's ,made all D's last semester...acceptance was rescinded.We have grade level parents college night meetings twice a year till 2nd semester jr year then they increase.Every meeting they hammer home keeping grades up till graduation.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 5:57 PM

agreed.  I thought the young lady changed her 2nd term schedule. When my daughter did that she had to let all the schools know of her new schedule.  Though my daughter wasnt necessarily taking easier classes... just different ones.

ANd agreed that if your grades are horrid 2nd term they can recend.  But if she took all easy courses, hopefully she will ace them.

Quoting atlmom2:

You get offers in the winter/spring. Still, when you send your final grades, if they suck they can resend it.

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting atlmom2:

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 8:27 PM
Yes they can and many of the top level competitive colleges will.

Quoting atlmom2:

Quoting sahlady:

Quoting atlmom2:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)