Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom of an almost 17 year old girl

Posted by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
  • 5 Replies

Hi I am a mom of a 17 year old girl, and I try and understand all that is going on in her generation, and boy is life different than when I was growing up.  I love her to pieces and am supportive in every way.  Sometimes I just want to spend the day with her and I, and at almost 17 she doesn't want to do that.  I understand and don't understand. 

by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
paganmommy4
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Explain to her that one day you and her will only see eachother on facebook. That she is growing up and these are her last moments of being a kid. That one day you'll look back and wish that she had spent one more day with her mom. Trust me.. I was 17 once and hated my mom. She'll come around.

Carmel63
by Silver Member on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Is life that different?  I don't know that it is.  Yes, we have some more modern conveniences.  When I was a teen I spent my days at school, homework, extra curriculars, and spent time with friends. My daughter does the same.  My mother never spent any special time with me.  Now, my daughter and I do have dinner and movie nights that we both love.  We know that she will be moving away from home in a few months, so our time together will be limited.

when14
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Thank you very much for your response. I just feel so lost at times. I love her to pieces. I have heard that about coming around and I only worry will it be when I am 100 and not here anymore.
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:24 PM
Teens don't want to. Did you? I was never home as a teen. I thought that was a normal teen to want to be gone and busy. I mean every once in a while, yes. Weekends were more for friends.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 10, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Quoting paganmommy4: I was 17 once and hated my mom.

Not me, and my daughters didn't hate me, either.  They were VERY happy if we spent a girls' day together--of course it needed to be doing something THEY enjoyed also.  Going to the movies, or getting mani's/pedi's--yes.  Spending the day at the garden center buying plants I wanted THEM to help me plant--NO.  They are 29/31 and are still the same, altho they WILL grin & bear it on my birthday, or Mother's day. 

If you are wanting to take your dd out to lunch, or to the movies, or shopping and she says NO --for no good reason-- (and there IS no good excuse)  tell her she is being rude and  ignorant, and that the next time she asks YOU for something, YOUR answer will ALSO BE NO.  And STICK TO IT. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)