Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

2/12: It's Fat Tuesday

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM
  • 20 Replies

Have you ever been to Mardi Gras in New Orleans?

Mardi Gras

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Mardi Gras
(Also known as Shrove Tuesday and Fat Tuesday)
Mardi Gras(Also known as Shrove Tuesday and Fat Tuesday)
Mardi Gras celebrations in New Orleans, USA
Type Christian, cultural
Significance Celebration prior to fasting season of Lent.
2012 date February 21
2013 date February 12
2014 date March 4
Celebrations Parades, parties
Related to Carnival, Shrove Monday, Ash Wednesday, Lent, Maslenitsa

"Mardi Gras" (pron.: /ˈmɑrdiɡrɑː/), "Mardi Gras season", and "Carnival season",[1][2][3][4][5] in English, refer to events of the Carnival celebrations, beginning on or after Epiphany and culminating on the day before Ash Wednesday. Mardi gras is French for Fat Tuesday, referring to the practice of the last night of eating richer, fatty foods before the ritual fasting of the Lenten season, which begins on Ash Wednesday. The day is sometimes referred to as Shrove Tuesday, from the word shrive, meaning "confess."[6] Related popular practices are associated with celebrations before the fasting and religious obligations associated with the penitential season of Lent.

http://www.checkiday.com/

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CometGirl
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:01 AM

No--I do not like parties.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 12, 2013 at 7:25 AM

No I haven't.  However when we were stationed in Germany we went to a couple Fashing parades which is the German equivalant to Mardi Gras just not as wild and crazy and everyone dresses up in costume.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 8:22 AM
No, but my Dad and brother went a few times.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Nope, and from what I've heard, I don't think I want to. I don't mind a little wild and crazy, but it just sounds way too over-the-top for me.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Nope. I've never been to New Orleans, period.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:08 AM

really?  all parties?

Quoting CometGirl:

No--I do not like parties.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I have never been, and am torn on the subject.  I think it would be a neat experiance, but I dont think I would be parting till all hours.  I would like to go, but be able to retreat back to a nice hotel.

I went to New Orleans for a very quick weekend trip two years ago.  I think I missed out on the best parts.  I did see bourbon street and it was too trashy for my taste, glad I went, but didnt enjoy it at night.  Too many strip bars, too many skanky women and men, you got harassed by all the people trying to get you into their bar.  You felt like you need a couple showers just to wash off the skank.  

But during the early hours and day it was TONS of fun!!!!

jazzgirl205
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Mardi Gras is the absolute best.  My husband and I were raised entrenched in the Mardi Gras culture of Mobile Alabama.  My father was a member of the Mystics of Time as were both my BIL and now my nephews.  My sisters were members of the Estrushcans, and the Order of Athena.  Until I moved, I was Order of Mystic Magnolias. On my husband's side, his mother was in the Polka Dots and the Junos and his father was a member of the Fifty Funny Fellows.

The Parades are fun, but the formal balls are even more fun.  Abolutely everyone goes.  You would be surprised how many and what kind of people have formal white tie and tails and ball gowns hanging in their closet.  I remember going to the balls in my youth and those young men who lived in tshirts and jeans suddenly so suave in their tailcoats (and they knew it, too).  We danced, ate and drank like there was no tomorrow.  Going to the balls after marriage is the absolute best, too.  Sometimes we get caught up in the mundanity of life so it is especially nice to doll yourself up as pretty as you can possibly be and look over at him looking like a 1930s movie star freshly shaved with a splash of cologne.  It's nice to see your old gang of friends dressed up as well and up to pranks (Natalie always packed a water pistol full of vodka - "Close your eyes and open your mouth and I'll give you a surprise.")

And then Lent.

"A foolish moment now and then is cherished by the wisest men."

gonecrazi
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Never been to New Orleans but we do have parades here on the MS Coast.

shorty13417
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:13 PM

no but i would love to go one of these days in the near future

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)