Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

PARENTAL MONITORING OF KIDS' CELL PHONES/TEXTING

Posted by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM
  • 13 Replies

Ladies,

Needing some help here on how to obtain a monitoring system for stepson's model  " LG Lucid  "phone.  His father has send out MULTIPLE requests to VARIOUS sites, to no avail with response after SEVERAL days.

This is OUR situation.  StpSon is getting, even in Father's presence, calls/text from WEIRD #s.  Our suspecions are there enough to WARRANT to do this ...and now.  Have seen some OTHER....unsavory behaviour ...amongst the group of kids.

Hubs and I BOTH agree that it's time to put monitor on his son's phone, to include even GPS  to LOCATE him but ph. has to be turned ON, battery CHARGED, or so we've been told.

SO...if ANY OF you of  OLDER teenagers have found a solution on this, PLEASE let me know.  It goes back to the old ...adage.   when you think something's not right.  usually it's not.

MY worst fear is that there is FAKE POT dealing by some of these kids when the REAL dealers...are out there.  AND...as I WARNED my stepson, they will TAKE YOU DOWN ....IF YOU'RE [VESTING ON THEIR PROPERTY].

Tried to put the fear of GOD in my stpson by telling him about the son of 1 of my BEST, DEAREST friends (kid who had UN...BELIEVEABLE I.Q.) started dealing and he was MURDERED in his car..SHOT IN THE HEAD...POINT BLANK.  The ONLY WAY they found him was that his....and this will INFURIATTTTTE YOU...his son was screaming after HOURS of being in infant seat, back of the car.

So now?  Ladies?  Coach!!! is kicking in and I need HELP on this matter on the phone/text monitorying.   

Something is going to HAVE to be done and SOON.  As stpson's heading down a BAD path.  He's hanging out with people that ARE NOT GOOD for him.  

I need HELP Ladies. On this phone/text monitor pgm.

I'm pretty hard core in MY Raising of kids;  Most of the ones in my life say "The boy needs his BUTT WHIPPED".     I was  a CO parent to over EIGHETEEN boys ..they ALL say...Mama B...you KICKED OUT BUTTS...MADE US ...think.

Asking for help here Ladies.   PLEASE help on this issue.  

I'LL be there for all of you s well!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 12, 2013 at 9:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Try MGuardian or something like that.  It's a great Andriod app and it's free.  You can block his phone remotely, you can set up key words for texts that it will send you the text, and it will locate, but will be within 3 miles if GPS is not turned on.

MrsBLB
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:03 PM

I didn't use anything with mine...  Good luck!

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:12 PM
5 moms liked this
If you are worried about texting inappropriately turn off the texting. If you are worried about him hanging out with pot heads I would stop his social life until he starts making better choices, also seek the help of a professional with a drug and alcohol evaluation. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 12, 2013 at 11:24 PM
Agree with this.

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

If you are worried about texting inappropriately turn off the texting. If you are worried about him hanging out with pot heads I would stop his social life until he starts making better choices, also seek the help of a professional with a drug and alcohol evaluation. Good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kthomasson
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 7:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Completely agree!  My SD was sexting and we took away her cell phone- it's not a right and it's not a NECESSITY!  If he's not behaving appropriately then he doesn't deserve rewards.

Quoting beizzeemom2717:

Maverick1957
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Thanks for your replies, Ladies!

gdsTX
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:35 PM

There is a site you can sign up for with his number that will locate the phone whether it is on or not. I don't remember the site, though. Which sites have you tried?

Edit: This seems to be a decent site, but you can disregard if you've already tried to contact them- http://www.mobistealth.com/

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:18 PM

I don't really understand your post. He is getting calls and texts from strange numbers that you don't know or that he doesn't know? You think he is doing something but don't know for sure. Possibly dealing drugs?

How old is he? What would u do with the info? Can he get his own phone if you take his away from him? Can one of the boys you helped raise mentor your ss? Does he have a drug problem? Can you send him to rehab or is he above age?

Maverick1957
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Thx for continued responses.  To reply...tried researching MGuardian, kept leading me to some employment site.  Have been Binging for other sources & it's slow process in cking them out.  

To kthomason, we  too caught him doing sexting some time ago as well, took texting away.  He earned it back eventually.  Also had taken away camera  part (DAD DRILLED A HOLE THROUGH IT!) as on a dare he sent out an...inappropriate pic to a girl.  

Here's another situation. Recently a girl sent him a "boob" shot.  I SERIOUSLY considered getting her #, alerting her parents.  WHAT WOULD YOU LADIES HAVE DONE?

B/T/W:  He's 17; although he's lived in mine and Dad's home full time for sev years, I have no LEGAL parenting rights.  All I can do is make SUGGESTIONS to his father.   Yet SOME things I won't budge on (choose my battles carefully).

As for turning off the texting right now, I'd rather MONITOR to see if there IS problem.  Ditto the phone monitoring to see who's calling him....and texts he received.

Normally, if I suspect something.. MAJOR.....I give him ONE CHANCE AND ONE CHANCE ONLY to "fess up" with no recrimintations (within reason). If he doesn't & I catch him in a LIE, well....MUCH worse consequences.

Attn: gdsTX:  I'll ck out your recommended site.

As for hanging out with pot-heads....have limted that as much as possilbe with KNOWN such,  yet, unfortunately, it seems EVERY KID I've met has or does do it now (with exception of ONE and HE told me where to [look for stuff]  )

Am PRETTY sure Stpson is smoking pot, occas. cigs or cigar, alcohol on occasion.  

And YES I'm in process of getting him into counseling/therapy & he's agreed to it.  (Add to all else, he has [abandonement issues ] with "legal mother (he's adopted b/t/w and SHE never wanted him in 1st place...he knows it, has since he was a small kid....it's just now coming out even more.) 

As for suspected substance abuse....that's going to take more research.  No, I don't think he's into major drugs yet he's admitted he's tried various.   Unfortunately, I've seen this for years.  Yet THANK GOD, haven't seen evidence he's using anything [hard core] on regular basis.

As for the 18 boys I "co-parented", that's exactly what it was ...from K - 12, then beyond.  All us parents BANDED together to help parent our respective kids.

As for all these kids?   I've talked with MANY about this situation as it has ...progressed.  COMMON THREAD is "we've BEEN there, DONE that.  Wear the boy's butt out, take EVERYTHING away!   "  Well, wearing his butt out is NOT an option (like it ever was b/c people here don't do that) and it's SURE not option NOW as he outweighs me.

Sorry Ladies, have been responding off/on as have been on/off phone.  

OH!! JUST NOW...Stpson comes in SCREAMING b/c he can't get in touch with his Father on the phone.  EXCUSE Me?   NOVEL IDEA!  DAD'S AT WORK AND YOUR SENSE OF ENTERTAINMENT E.R. is NOT his.  REAL E.R. SITUATION?  BLEEDING, BROKEN ARM, ETC.  I can track Dad down through the company.  TOMOROROW NIGHT'S DATE IS NOT AN EMERGENCY!!!!

No I don't think he's dealing drugs, for real.  Maybe sometimes taking a cig, roll out the tobacco, "roll" or use Sage.  SELL it as if it WERE real.   Yet even if it's FAKE, what I've FOREWARNED him is that if there are "dudes" dealing outside HS and they think HE'S "surfing their turf"?   They will "TAKE YOU DOWN!".  True SAD story...son of one of my best friends was found (several years ago...diff area) in a parked car, BULLET THROUGH THE HEAD.  Only way they found his ...body was b/c his INFANT son was in car seat in back and someone heard the baby crying.

As for info from monitoring...we'd hold it until we get more INTEL then move to MORE serious action.... if warranted.  And I'm NOT above calling the local police to give them HIS pic when he pulls a sneaking out in midst of night as well.   

During the interim, MORE monitoring would occur.   I.e. this B.S. that he used to pull about saying he was going to be at this or that friend's house then NO info provided as to where they live, parents need to talk BEFORE hand....Well the B.S. that  [ I ] was invading his privacy?  B.F**S!  Have alREADY had SEVERAL PARENTS OF LATE state THEIR KIDS TRY TO PULL THE SAME ON THEM.

SO...we're [JOINING FORCES].  Few of us to begin.  

I know I'm all over the map on this reply but trying to maintain OTHER while dealing with this.

No he wouldn't be able to afford cell ph on his own if this one's taken away, to answer that question.   

Look Ladies, Were this MY bio or even LEGAL son...I'd be doing things MAJOR different.  Right now I'm in the MIRE with NO legal rights.

And NO way to get LEGAL MOTHER involved b/c she literally DUMPED him on my door in 2005.  Became a REGULAR thing until we finally went through court to have SS live with us full time, her with visitation rights. What a JOKE!   Long as she got the paycheck, could do her GRAND SHOW at P/Teach mtgs...she RARELY has seen him.  

So YES, he's going to go to therapy and HELLS-BELLS, I just might, too.  

Note herein...you might want to ck out EMPOWERING PARENTS.  Helped me in the early years with Stpson..

Thanks for all your input!

anjalayes
by New Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Hi, I subscribe to a newsletter called Techlicious. Awhile back the topic was options for monitoring a childs/teens cellphone. There was a program or app that was like 5$ a month. I will see if I can find the info and post it for you.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN