Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Any of your teens have had or have this?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM
  • 29 Replies

Thank you all for your comments. My dd came home and said she had F quiz grade brought up so now she has an A in science (the total grade). I made her PROVE it by going on powerschool to actually show me.  She was telling the truth. She couldn't bring the D up. The teacher told her it was because she has a B+ in that subject. Hope she isn't pulling my leg on that one. lol.  SHE apologized to me about what she had said & said I was right. Wow...that was impressive. I gave her phone back to her but after I did I thought should I have so... fast because of the disrespect, etc. I always have a delema in how long to discipline as maybe she is saying 'I'm sorry' just to get back in my good graces.  I'm thinking this because this is a pattern for her (the mouthiness). She never used to apologize, so this is new. I'm always trying to stay one step ahead of her, she's so crafty. lol Should I have done anything different?

My 14 yo dd gets A's & B's on papers/homework, etc but on some quizzes & test she is getting D's & F's. She refuses to study and alot of times forgets (she says) her books/homework at school. Even if a kid doesn't  study you would think they would get better grades on test's & quizzes if their overall work is good wouldn't you?  Or could it be test anxiety? We don't believe that is is test anxiety because it isn't on all tests/quizzes just a few. But it brings down her total grade even if it is a few. We have told her if she doesn't get the test grades up on the 2 pending now she will be going to after school help (it's a program after school) but she is refusing & saying she won't & we can't make her.  Well, the school can't make her & we can't really either, it's voluntary but we can make other things go away... We have told her that but she just says 'try it'! How would you handle this?

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM
2 moms liked this

Oh heck no! I would blow. She would fail and I wouldnt try to help her at all. That is not test anxiety. that's pure outright defiance. Let her fail and take everything away from her. She would be grounded until she passes.

Msgme
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Its probably test issues.  Because if she's getting the good grades on work and homework she should be getting at least C's on test.  As for her attitude  that wouldnt fly.   Her time at home would be horrible.  She'd loose everything and I would become her shadow.  She wouldnt be able to sneeze without me sneezing with her.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

No, what I meant is NOT on all tests does she get F's & D's.  Most of her tests/quizzes she scores high.  That is why I am thinking it is 'not' test anxiety, just laziness? 

Quoting Msgme:

Its probably test issues.  Because if she's getting the good grades on work and homework she should be getting at least C's on test.  As for her attitude  that wouldnt fly.   Her time at home would be horrible.  She'd loose everything and I would become her shadow.  She wouldnt be able to sneeze without me sneezing with her.

cat4458
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I am more concerned about the disrespect she is showing (you can't make me stuff) that's the hardest to handle. She said she wouldn't go & she would ride the bus home. I told her if she did that I would take her right back to school. The only thing is there would only be 1/2 hr of the after school help left & I know she would refuse to get out of the car. At that point does a parent leave & go home w/the teen in the car & put in place other consequences?  That's the delema.

CBMomma42
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:08 PM

Do you pay her cell phone bill? I'd have her cell turned off until she makes better grades. You can't make her go to after school help, but you can take things away that she loves...and we all know most teens love their cell phones. If she hangs out with her friends alot on weekends, that can dissapear too. You have more control than you think.

AleaKat
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Some kids just don't test well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Silver Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Oh then I mis understood.   Sounds like laziness then and she would benefit from an afterschool or tutoring.

Quoting cat4458:

No, what I meant is NOT on all tests does she get F's & D's.  Most of her tests/quizzes she scores high.  That is why I am thinking it is 'not' test anxiety, just laziness? 

Quoting Msgme:

katemckenzie
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

It's possible she's copying another student's homework, therefore getting good grades, and on the tests she does well on, maybe she's copying those too. I did the same thing in school. Sometimes I wouldn't be able to get a good look at someone elses test, and I'd fail it.

ididntdoit111
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:50 PM
3 moms liked this

She tells you, her parents "try it" ? I'd not only try it, I'd do it.  Nip that mouthiness in the bud mama. You are the parents, she shouldn't speak to you that way. I have 2 teen sons and yes, they try the same thing. Try being the key word. You mentioned other things going away. Do it. Until she develops better study habits and learns who's boss take away the things she likes best. Good Luck!

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:54 PM
Sounds like she needs to be more respectful for sure, but also work possibly on her study skills. My DD was having that same issue on quizzes only in 7th grade science. The teacher was kind enough to sit with her after school a few times and go over study strategies and it really helped. Also testing strategies like eliminating 2 answers first, ect on multiple choice quizzes, those small kind of pointers really helped my dd out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN