Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teenaged SD weight issue

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM
  • 11 Replies

Ok I have a bueatiful SD that I absolutely adore. She has a serious weight issue. I never say a word about it because I had a weight issue my whole life. I work very hard to keep my weight at normal level and am always fighting with 20 lbs between being normal and going back into Obese. It isn't easy. My mother was horrible to me about it so I never say a word.

She had lost 30 lbs before I came into the picture and I just found out that she gained it all back. She also needed to lose an addtitional 40 lbs. She weighs about 230 now at 15. So we aren't talking about 20 lbs or so. Her dad and her did a very low carb diet and it did work. He lost 100 lbs and has maintained it for hte most part. She came to me last weekend and admitted that she had gained it back. Now I knew she had by the fact she is living in pj's on the weekend and her jeans are so tight that they don't fit. Major muffin tops here and she won't button her jeans until she goes to school. She is VERY lazy..example..she won't drink water because she doesn't want to get up and go to the bathroom. Yeah..that lazy. Her dad and I don't know what to do. Her mom well not even going there.

I guess when her mom was living there they did weight watchers together but they are convinced it doesn't work. It does..you just have to journal, eat the right stuff and keep the fat down.

I don't know...has anyone else dealt with this?

We just don't want her to hit 300 lbs before she is 17.

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:46 AM
1 mom liked this
What are her issues? She must have some emotional issues why she gained so much weight. She needs nutritional counseling as well as other counseling. WW works when you exercise and eat the proper foods and proper amount of food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PoplarGrove
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:50 AM

If she's dieted and exercised and the weight doesn't come off take her to the doctor and have him test her thyroid (TSH, free T4 and free T3) and her hormone levels (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone) to make sure everything is right in that department.  If she's estrogen dominant or has hypothyroidism she WILL gain weight until it is treated.  

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM
She has lost before so it seems she can. Just went back to old habits probably and gained it back. Its gotta be a lifestyle change.

Quoting PoplarGrove:

If she's dieted and exercised and the weight doesn't come off take her to the doctor and have him test her thyroid (TSH, free T4 and free T3) and her hormone levels (estrogen, progesterone, testosterone) to make sure everything is right in that department.  If she's estrogen dominant or has hypothyroidism she WILL gain weight until it is treated.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:52 AM

I agree with atlmom2. She needs counseling. You can do Ww and other diets but until she wants to lose it, she won't. 

Quoting atlmom2:

What are her issues? She must have some emotional issues why she gained so much weight. She needs nutritional counseling as well as other counseling. WW works when you exercise and eat the proper foods and proper amount of food.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:07 AM

You can do the same thing I did with my daughter.  We sat down and started looking at the nutritional labels.  Wow look at all that salt!  Without x amount of water, you're going to get alot of water weight!!! She started looking at them herself and is now at a normal weight.

ambermario4ever
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Motivate her. Do some fun activities with her that get her moving even if it is just a kinect  game. 

MDStepMomma2
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:52 AM

He has put her in conseling and she will sit there and stare at them. Doesn't open up to someone at all unless she knows that you won't tease her or make her feel bad about herself.

I will have to ask her dad about the bloodwork. She had a physical recently for school but not sure if full blood panel was ever done.

We have talked to her about sodium intake. The girl consumes SO much salt and she knows it causes bloating. She just doesn't care. Her father also is horrible about salt and I won't let him make my meat anymore. He salts it to death. His reasoning is from smoking...she just copies him.

She has an xbox 360 but prefers to play the shooting games. We have all the dance games and she did those for a whlie..but now..just wants to play shooting games. I even will dance with her and make a fool of myself since I can't dance at all.

I am very active myself and try to give her a good influence. Both her parent's were very lazy and exercise was always a chore. It wasn't something that was fun. So she got that influence from her parents.

I share with her my issues with food so she doesn't feel bad about it. I don't pry into her food issues or closet eating. She won't admit she does it..but she does. I have caught her doing it.

MDStepMomma2
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I just emailed her dad about the bloodwork.

When it comes to her medical appointments I do let her parent's handle that. It isn't my place.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Closet eating is a real emotional issue.

Quoting MDStepMomma2:

He has put her in conseling and she will sit there and stare at them. Doesn't open up to someone at all unless she knows that you won't tease her or make her feel bad about herself.

I will have to ask her dad about the bloodwork. She had a physical recently for school but not sure if full blood panel was ever done.

We have talked to her about sodium intake. The girl consumes SO much salt and she knows it causes bloating. She just doesn't care. Her father also is horrible about salt and I won't let him make my meat anymore. He salts it to death. His reasoning is from smoking...she just copies him.

She has an xbox 360 but prefers to play the shooting games. We have all the dance games and she did those for a whlie..but now..just wants to play shooting games. I even will dance with her and make a fool of myself since I can't dance at all.

I am very active myself and try to give her a good influence. Both her parent's were very lazy and exercise was always a chore. It wasn't something that was fun. So she got that influence from her parents.

I share with her my issues with food so she doesn't feel bad about it. I don't pry into her food issues or closet eating. She won't admit she does it..but she does. I have caught her doing it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MDStepMomma2
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Oh I know it is a emotional eating issue. I lost 100 lbs when I finally stopped eating in the closet. I sometimes slip into those bad habits also...but..I know I have an issue and admit it. I also work with a therapist regularly.

Her dad said he will make an appt for her to get blood tested.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN