Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

What does your teen think of your spending habit?

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 27 Replies

By nature I am very economical moneywise. I spend only if I think its needed. Usually, I dont go out window shopping too. I go to any store only when I need something.  I really dont spend much on myself too.

When it comes to books, educational material I dont hesitate to spend money on that. I never stopped my kids if they wanted to buy books for educational purposes.

When it comes to fun and entertainment I usually think twice before buying. I really dont like spending money unnecessary things. Even inspite of this nature of mine I have always bought enough toys and games for my kids.  Some moms I have observed just take their kids for a trip to the mall without buying anything but here I have given surprises to my kids by getting new toys in the market each time.

Recently, I have started observing that my 14yr old daughter is commenting several times comparing me with some other of her friends moms, sometimes getting upset too. Is it a common thing among teens?

And, I always teach my kids to be economical and try to show them the reason. But, with this recent behavior of my child, will she become just the opposite of me, meaning a spend thrift when she grows up????

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lorena
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My teens will only ask for money or for me to halp pay for something if it is something they need. They are really good about that. They also usually come to me with a report in how it will help them. My ds 14 told me that he is writing up a report on why he should go to Florida with his class next yr. He said he will hac it done by Thursday but wanted to give us a heads up. Ofcourse he is going to go but, I am excited to see what he has to say about it.
They don't care that all their friends have smart phone, IPads and what not and they don't. They tell their friends it is a want not a need and since they don't nees it they wont ask.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
gabyangy
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

My kids think I have a money tree, but I think that is my fault.  I always give in.  My kids use my credit or debit card more than I do.  They always have something to do. 

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Well we spend, because we have it. Save a ton also. They have always known we didn't have a lot when we started out and scrimped and saved anyway. They know savings and investments are very important.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:05 PM
1 mom liked this

My kids ask I say yes or no depending on the money situation.  If it's no I explain why and that's that.  My kids have never complained about our spending habits or comparing those habits to their friends families.  To me that is disrespectful to you and needs to be corrected now.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Mine have no idea what's going on in our bank account.  Sometimes I have money for their entertainment, and sometimes I don't.  They don't tend to compare me to their friend's parents

momof98and03
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Now, when I recollect, my husband and I started our life with net bank balance of zero dollars. It was our education which has helped us get to the position we are in right now.  Really, when we married though we did not have any debts but we still did not have any bank balance either.

I really want my kids to understand the value of money. Please suggest how to talk to my teen daughter on this. I dont want to sound like a miserly parent too, I just want her to learn to prioritize things.

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 2:50 PM

If I say for example $25 is too much for that tee shirt when we can get it on sale for half off next week, she is okay with that. However, she has made comments before about wishing we were rich. I said we are rich, just not with money. She is now starting to understand what I mean by that. Volunteering in the community has helped her see that.

02nana07
by Ida on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Mine save for what they want and are as bad as me if not worse looking for a bargain.  We rarely pay full price for anything.  For Christmas my boys told me what that wanted and where it was on sale plus the link to any rebates was added. 

momof98and03
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Thats nice!! Where do your kids volunteer?

MJP76
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 4:09 PM

We don't involve our kids in our financial decisions at all.

i mean we do window shopping and we spend time with our kids, but as far as our financial status, it's none of their business. The most they know is "yes, we have the money for that" or "no, we don't have the money for that" 

we give our kids an allowance, and have taught them, or try to teach them anyhow, the value of a dollar. If our kids really want something they will save their own money for it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)