Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

16 year old ttoo concerned with her looks

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM
  • 6 Replies
My daughter has recently put a lot of effot into her appearance, I assumed it was just a normal part of growing up. It was obvious how she cares about how she looks, with how she tries to dress well and always have good posture and stuff. But recently, something worrying happened. She got this little growth on her neck, and when we eent to the dr, he said it was harmless, just a skin tab. He said she could get it removed y freezing it off. It wasn't under our insurance, so I said just to leave it. she wasn't happy with it, but I didn't think much of it. Soon after, I saw her with a bandaid on her neck; she had cut it off with scissors! She said she washed them well, and it was harmless, but I am honestly worried how she could do something like that just for her looks. I talked to her aout how dangerous what she did was, but I'm worried it's just a part of a larger problem. What's your opinion on this??
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 6:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Actually, I know many women who cut them off themselves.  *Shudders*     I think it is normal for a 16 yr old to be concerned with her looks.   Teens freak out if a pimple appears, so i can understand her reaction to a skin tag.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:53 PM
2 moms liked this

It's normal for teens to be concerned about their looks. Honestly, I would have been upset at 16 if my parents had not let me remove a skin tag. I would have done so for my DD if it was something that was really bothering her? Def worth the money.

LuvingMy3Girls
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:27 PM
I get skin tags and often remove them myself. I don't think it's part of a larger problem. I hate mine too. I twist it until it starts to loose feeling then I pull it off or cut it off
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:44 PM

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

It's normal for teens to be concerned about their looks. Honestly, I would have been upset at 16 if my parents had not let me remove a skin tag. I would have done so for my DD if it was something that was really bothering her? Def worth the money.

I agree with this.

I see that the Target Clinic near our house takes care of skin tags, and I'm sure they're pretty cheap. I'd guess that most Minute Clinics would do the same for a really cheap price. My son had a small wart on his finger, and the Target Clinic removed it. Insurance covered it, but it was still so much cheaper than it would have been going to the doctor to take care of that minor skin issue.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 10:59 PM
2 moms liked this

I agree with what the moms have said so far.

Did you take her back to the dr. to have a look at it?  I would explain how dangerous it is to do something like that on your own.  But I wouldnt get upset with her, obviously it was more bothersome to her than you knew.

As long as she doesnt equate her self worth with her appearance.  Then I wouldnt be concerned.  But if it is that important I would discuss finances with her and how you might find the money to take care of it properly.

suesues
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 8:05 AM

did it bleed is it infected check and its normal at 16 to feel that way

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)