Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Teen home alone overnight?

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM
  • 41 Replies

My daughter will be 16 in two months. We have a conference 2 hours away from home. I just can't see leaving her home alone over night. We can't afford two hotel rooms and she wouldn't stay in the room with me and my DH as he is her stepdad. She only has one friend she could stay over with but she has to work that night.  We live in a nice quiet subdivision, she is not one to have people over and she likes having the house to herself, but I never spent the night alone until I went to college and that was in a dorm.  She could stay at her step grandma's but she would be mad and uncomfortable  if I asked her to do that. I really don't want my husband to go alone but I can't figure out anything else. He thinks it's no big deal if she is ok with it.  Am I being overprotective and a worrywort?

by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I had my girls stay with friends if we were gone. We have no family here. I don't leave teenagers alone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:34 AM
1 mom liked this

One night, and only 2 hours away? One night will be fine. Just have some close by that she can call in case of an emergency.

andersongirl562
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM
I have left my 15 year old home alone for the night with her siblings. But my kids are responsible and mature. Also I have an alarm system that is activated and I get a text when it is de activated. They are to stay in the house and not let any one know they are alone. Also my sis and mom live about 2 min. Away. You know your kid is she responsible enough?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this

You know your own kid, but I would not have had a problem leaving my daughter for one night.

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:59 AM

My son is not quite that age yet, but I have known people here that have left their 16 yo home alone for a night....IF they trusted them.

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:03 AM
Yeah, teeny bit over protective
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:46 AM

I would leave her alone.  My 15yr old housesits our friends houses and I leave him alone for a week at 3-4 days on his own.  Left him alone when he was almost 15 when his baby brother was born too.

lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Nope would not do it.

DieselsMom
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

wait, why can your 16 year old not share a room with you and her step dad?

ksueditz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 1:00 PM
My ds16 went to a town 2 hours away w/ 3 other boys to our state wrestling tournament. My son's teammate won and had to wrestle 1st thing this am. So the 4 boys got a hotel room, 1 boy is 18, in the same building w/ the wrestlers and their families. He's responsible, I had the landline#, and there's a McDonald's across the street. I'm normally VERY overprotective but I'm trying to let him have more independence BEFORE he graduates.
Only you know what you, and your daughter, can handle.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)