Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Venting a little...No bad language. **Edit in red**

Posted by   + Show Post

OK, I am a mom with 8 kids.  All but 3 are out on their own.  The oldest living at home is 16.  He is in the local high school, and every since he went back from Christmas break, he has got at least 12 detentions - I found out later that the school notes that I took in got lost some how and for every day he missed after the 5th tardy or a missed day, he get 3 detentions.  I got copies of the doctor excuses and took them in, but they refuse to take them.  Tuesday I went to Ohio to pick up my youngest daughter (it was only an 5 hour trip round trip. He got into trouble.  It was his own fault, but never in a million years would I dreamed of getting into trouble myself.  My son had a cigarette on his person.  Wasn't out smoking it but, he got 3 days suspension, a ticket for $150, a court date, lock in a room (cell) for 8 hours a day for the 3 days suspension.  I have to go to the high school  for a behavior meeting.  This is going to be very interesting because the same asst. principal that I went to talk to on Wednesday and he yelled at me and accused me of buying cigarettes for my son.  WOW!  1. don't yell at me.  My husband doesn't yell at me.  2. I thought that I was an adult, but I sure felt like I was in high school again.  Where I used to live, yes, I knew the laws for underage smoking, but never dreamed this.  I know that my son did wrong, he knows too.  I just can't understand all this when I have seen and heard of more problems up at this high school and this doesn't happen.  I watch a kid get the heck beat out of him, and the abuser was never punished.  My son has class with him.  ???  I just wondered if anyone has heard of this or knows what I should be doing. 

**OK, I am really trying hard to understand things that are going on at the high school.  Since I first posted this, the principal that first gave my son all the above, has given my son several more detentions.  With this last time giving David 9 of them all at once.  Here is the reason: Instead of saying "Hi Mr. West." he said "Hi West."  Witnesses told me that Mr. West got in his face and yelled and screamed at him.  ?????  OK.  So he called me at school, got me out of class started right off yelling at me.  I blew a gasket.  After yelling at me, I opened up and gave it to him with both barrels.  I told him "You have to giver respect before you can get it."  He said "Exactly.  That is what I told David"  I told him, "It wasn't David, I was talking about, it is you.  You know what, I will be there in a few minutes, and we will talk about this."  and I hung up.  Went up to talk to him and he was nowhere in sight.  When I asked where he was the secretary told me that he left and that he sent David back to class.  When I asked where'd he go, she couldn't tell or wouldn't tell me.  So she told me that I could pick up David so I did.  When I rounded the corner, there he stood, and that man went the other way.  OMG!  What an ignorant man.  I was so mad at him because he would not talk to me.  David arrives, and I let him have it with both barrels because of the simple disrespect that he showed an adult - such as he was.

I know that what my son did was wrong, but did it really warrant nine detentions?  One or two, yes, three yes, but nine?  So I get the detention slip in the mail.  All he said that David is getting nine detentions for disrespect of an adult.  I took it to a teacher that is a friend of mine, she told me that I was fighting a losing battle, but she did tell me to go through the ranks and talk to the main principal and was advised that I wouldn't get anywhere and  the to go to the superintendent of schools and again I wouldn't get nowhere and then she said that I needed to go to a lawyer because she believes this to harassment.   

I am torn on what to do.  My son has witnesses that seen Mr. West just yell and scream at him for just saying "Hi West" instead of "Hi Mr. West".  I am not sure that it is worth it all to take him to court, but I am taking my son out of this school and putting him back into the on-line schools that he was in before.  I have never seen such a mess in all of my life.  He does great in the public school.  His teachers all have nothing but good to say about him.  And since he got back on his ADD meds., they say that he is doing even better than before.  It is just this Mr. West.

Any advice would be appreciated.  

Sorry so long.  Just ranting.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Replies (21-23):
ladyluke2007
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is because he was home schooled for a long while.  IDK, just a thought.  And I agree, it is a waste of the polices' time and tax payers money.  I have a meeting Tuesday and you bet your bottom dollar, I am going to get to the bottom of this. 

Quoting boys2men2soon:

If the school lost the original excuses....that is on them.   No way would I allow my son to go to detention for the school's error, especially if you gave them copies of the excuses.     I would go directly to the superintendent of schools.

As for the cigarette issue......I would get the police report.   If the school called the police for a 16 yr old caught with one single cigarette, I would pitch a fit.   What a waste of time for the police!!  Not to mention tax payer dollars!    If anybody yelled at me and accused me of something they had no evidence of.....we would have a BIG problem.         Something is wrong.    I would get to the bottom of it.  There has to be a reason the school would target your son.

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:15 PM
1 mom liked this

I think the one cigarette thing is so far over the top it;s crazy.I don't what state you live in but here in Ontario if you are under 18 you can't buy smokes but you can posess them. Kids don't get fines or IIs suspends for just having them on them. if they did half of high school seniors would be in detention on a regular basis. As for the principal thereis no way in hell he would of gotten away with yelling at me. I have an attitude when dealing with stupidity and this is stupid. They lost the notes thats there problem not yours and I would of been on the phone or at the board office so fast it wouldn't of  been funny. I have raised kane on numerous issues and it doesn't bother me to do so. You send your children to school to be eduated not put in a square box and not to be told off by some fool who is power hungery.

ladyluke2007
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 8:47 AM

I have thought about going to the board, but I am new here in Indiana and I have no idea of the procedures.  I am learning the fast though.  I was telling my Ma about this and she was kinda thinking that if they searched all the students in the school that at least half of them would be in trouble.  I am not worried about all them, just my son.  I don't get all the hoopla on this, except for the fact that it is against the law for kids to have tobacco products.  My son was in the wrong for that.  Ohio is so much different than Indiana.  Some for the good and some for the worse I am finding out.

Quoting bexsmum:

I think the one cigarette thing is so far over the top it;s crazy.I don't what state you live in but here in Ontario if you are under 18 you can't buy smokes but you can posess them. Kids don't get fines or IIs suspends for just having them on them. if they did half of high school seniors would be in detention on a regular basis. As for the principal thereis no way in hell he would of gotten away with yelling at me. I have an attitude when dealing with stupidity and this is stupid. They lost the notes thats there problem not yours and I would of been on the phone or at the board office so fast it wouldn't of  been funny. I have raised kane on numerous issues and it doesn't bother me to do so. You send your children to school to be eduated not put in a square box and not to be told off by some fool who is power hungery.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)