Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Can a Teenage Girl have a Male Best Friend "No Strings Attached".

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
  • 40 Replies

We have been trying to convince our DD that a male friend can't be a Best Friend.  What are the odds of a male boy being a best bud to a teenage girl; without it leading into a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship?My DD is 16 yrs. old.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 AM

My dd has best friends that are guys.  3 of them in fact.  One is gay so its pretty easy,  One does have feelings for her but the third they are just friends. Been friends since 6th grade and they are hs freshman now.  they spend alot of time together but its truly platonic.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Uh yeah they can. My DD (who is 21) has been friends with boys her entire life. Her best friend is currently a boy. She has feelings for him yes, but granted they've been through a lot together. He doesn't return those feelings, BUT is the best damn friend she could ask for. And he wouldn't hesitate to kick an ass for her if he had to. :) DD's fine with how things are, says the feelings will go away in their own time. She doesn't want to ruin things. But yeah; you can't really dictate to a 16yo who she can/can't be friends with.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:13 AM
Absolutely they can! My DS has a very good female friend he has known since second grade, he's now 20. They were good friends all through high school, even when he began his what is now 3 year relationship with his girlfriend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:25 AM
I had lots of guy friends. So did my dd's. Why can't she????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:53 AM

I had one. I always ran with the guys. I think for me it was because I was born after 2 boys. I gave up my best guy friend when I got married.

le.sigh.333
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:07 AM

my 15 year old dd does. but he's gay.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I had a couple of male best friends, why can't she?

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My DD has 5-6 male bestfriends. That's all they are, were or ever have been. They have girlfriends, she has seperate boyfriends and all are just one big family.

Why can't girls and boys be just friends?

dandylynes
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:38 AM

Yes, my daughters 2 closest friends are guys, completely platonic.

specialwingz
by Bronze Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Absolutely!  I have always had male best friends!  All through my school years, my best friend was the boy next door.  I learned that girls gossip.  And, are catty.  Even when they are "bffs".  Boys, tend to not repeat what you tell them.  And, they offer input and points of view that other girls just can't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)