Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Can a Teenage Girl have a Male Best Friend "No Strings Attached".

We have been trying to convince our DD that a male friend can't be a Best Friend.  What are the odds of a male boy being a best bud to a teenage girl; without it leading into a boyfriend and girlfriend relationship?My DD is 16 yrs. old.

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

My best friends have always been male.  When I was 14 my best friend was male.  We never dated, that would have been too weird.  We knew each other's biggest insecurities.  We double dated but there was never a romantic interest there.

anjalayes
by New Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Glad to see I wasn'tthe only one that felt that way. The girls in my school were always plotting against some other girl, either starting rumours or trying to steal their boyfriends. The itinerary was always the same. I work with 2 other females now and its like jr/high school all over again and we are three different generations.

For me I just wanted to have fun, I didnt care who was dating who or why they shouldnt be. The guys were always active and doing something. Even now my 4 best friends are male. In the 15 yr span they've had their girlfriends, I was married, divorced and had boyfriends. I will never give up those friendships for anyone. Finding a true friend is a precious thing.

Quoting specialwingz:

Absolutely!  I have always had male best friends!  All through my school years, my best friend was the boy next door.  I learned that girls gossip.  And, are catty.  Even when they are "bffs".  Boys, tend to not repeat what you tell them.  And, they offer input and points of view that other girls just can't.

k1kelley
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yes absolutely! My DS is best friends with a girl. They met in 2nd grade and do all sorts of platonic things together. They are both 16.

krise
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:57 AM

I don't see anything wrong with that.. I had a few very close male friends in highschool. half were gay..

courtseanryan
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:39 PM

My dd has a few guy friends she's had for years, She's had bfs while being friends with these boys and they have had girlfriends. 

KarenR
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:29 PM

It depends on the boy. My DD has several guy friends but one has feelings for her and came between her and her boyfriend with his "little comments". He would point out things the boyfriend shouldn't have said or done and how he treats her better. Once she broke up with the boyfriend, the friend confessed to liking her more than a friend. She was at fault for listening to the "friend" but he had ulterior motives...not much of a friend if you ask me. She remains friends with both of the boys. Boys can be just as much drama as girls but usually not.

pegerik6
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:31 PM

It is possible to have a guy as a best friend and it not lead to anything else. When I was in high school my best friend was a guy and we were never had feeling for each other and he was very happy for me when I fell in love with my husband and we got married.

katydon
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM

of course they can be just friends! My DD is 16 too and she has many male friends. One of them she hangs around with all the time and they are just friends. He comes over often and I know him the best of all her friends. I've asked her plenty of times if she liked him and she said no but she always tells me who she does like. Its very obvious to me that they are just friends.

kidkrazyinAK
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Yes, they can be friends and even best friend...if in the future they do date, it will possibly be the best relationship of her life...a relationship is always stronger if you are friends before lovers.

wulfeyes05
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I had one in high school, he's still my best friend
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)