Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Twitter Accounts for teens?

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM
  • 18 Replies

My soon to be 15 year old DD wants to have a twitter account.  I am told that all of her friends have accounts and that no one uses facebook anymore.  She tells me that she is not going to post things about what she is doing.  She just wants to be able to follow celebratees and be in the loop with her peers.  I am not sure this is a good idea.  In the past, her friends and her have posted pretty silly things on facebook.  There hasn't been any problems with facebook but I don't know enough about twitter.  What do you think an appropriate age is for a twitter account?

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 5:00 PM
Mine did not till 18.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
drfink
by Emily on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM

My 16 y.o. does not but my 15 y.o. does.He thinks he is a political pundit and tweets only political comments.He doesn't favor any political party.I check out each follower though he has a couple of hundred now.I am fortunate he has 2 adult cousins 25 ,23  and 2 adult siblings 28 y.o. brother and 22 y.o. sister between the 4 of them his account is watched.He is doing ok so far.

My 16 y.o. doesn't have an interest yet but with his sibs and cousins following I feel pretty safe.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I've never even looked at DD's twitter account. I know she follows celebrities but that's all I know about it. I don't know if I can monitor it or even if it's public. But she assures me that unless she chooses to follow someone they can't contact her at all. I would do some more reasearch - try and make the acccount private. Cause I'm stuck and I've got no idea what to do.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Mine haven't had any interest, ever. Which is good because I just don't understand the appeal of it.

Sim04
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:15 PM

My 14 year old has twitter. She is on a lot. I make a point of checking her twitter account daily so I can make sure she does not reveal too much. It's true that this age group is using twitter more than facebook. Just keep an eye on her twitter and don't Let her protect her tweets. Either they are public so u can view them or open a twitter account and follow her. At a certain age, you should back off. My older daughter  will be 18 soon and her twitter account is private and I don't ask to see it. It's up to u. 

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:53 PM
My kids have fb no interest in Twitter
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:58 AM

I am another who does not understand the appeal of Twitter.  I do know that some of my daughters friends have a twitter account, but I don't think my daughter does.  At this point, almost 18, I don't really monitor her Internet usage.

Msgme
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM

I have no issues with twitter.  My kids all have one my son never uses it but my girls like to follow certain celebs.

nikabear
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:19 AM
My daughter has had a twitter account since she was 14 years old. She is now 16. I have passwords to all of her social media accounts so I moniter them a lot.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)