Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Any other mom's have teens...

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM
  • 21 Replies
With insomnia ? He's on clonidine , melatonin turned out to be a terrible idea. He still gets up in the morning because he's never been asleep. His grades do not fall, he's got a fan, the darkest room in the whole house. Yes, there is a schedule, pretty strict, actually.... No caffiene after five, electronics off an hour before bedtime, hot shower... The whole thing.
It's not anxiety, he swears it's under control. , that he doesn't stress over his classes or friend issues.
I'll mention he's had it of and on and since 4th grade when we were given clonidine and we've added herbal tea.

It's just kids are noticing the " raccoon eyes" developing. Besides another dr appt, what else can I do?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Is he having any issues with allergies? When my DD had bad seasonal allergies she had very noticeable raccoon eyes. She was sleeping fine but the allergies were causing the raccoon eyes.
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 17, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Does he get enough exercise? I know I don't sleep well if I'm sitting too much.

tyfry7496
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 4:18 PM
I agree with the allergies. I sleep but not well so I wake up tired. A warm shower to remove allergens before bed helps, as does an allergy pill and a cold room.

Is he taking the Clonodine too late? My friends daughter is on it and if she takes it after 12 noon she can't sleep.

Quoting fammatthews4:

Is he having any issues with allergies? When my DD had bad seasonal allergies she had very noticeable raccoon eyes. She was sleeping fine but the allergies were causing the raccoon eyes.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:32 PM
I would try the exercise? Also is he talking with anyone about stress? Even if he doesn't think he has it he might just not be processing everything
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleighmama
by Ashleigh on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:34 PM
Ever since my 14 yr old son was 3, he goes through phases where he has insomnia, sometimes its due to his ADHD meds (depending which one hes on at the time) and sometimes from anxiety, which is once again controlled with Prozac, and all along his drs have always told me to give him Benadryl, and its always worked for his insomnia.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sunflowers12
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:36 PM
Physical activity he needs exserice a good work out does all of us good.. Walking/biking/running weight lifting/ even wii/ x-box have videos for activity he may enjoy and if its to cold out still ... That's what I would look into😉
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:39 PM
He takes a prescribed nose spray , and we do our best on keeping up with Allegra , but I forget, as does he more often than not. We will try and put it in a more conspicuous place. His meds are kept in the kitchen away from everyone else's to help him remember . Thank you. Would an increase of allergy meds help him sleep? Like I said, he can take the sleep need and herbal tea and lay in bed in the dark until his alarm goes off.

Quoting fammatthews4:

hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:47 PM
He does gym, and when he comes home high strung, he bounces around outside. Anxiety is rare, this past week he's been highly stressed, but the insomnia has been going on for a long time .

There are nights I hear him crying at three am, and yes I'll will crawl in bed with my 13.5 and he'll drift of in minutes . I think maybe he worries ( like adults) that he won't sleep... So he doesn't?

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I would try the exercise? Also is he talking with anyone about stress? Even if he doesn't think he has it he might just not be processing everything
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Thank you, we'll look into a used fit to go with the wii

Quoting sunflowers12:

Physical activity he needs exserice a good work out does all of us good.. Walking/biking/running weight lifting/ even wii/ x-box have videos for activity he may enjoy and if its to cold out still ... That's what I would look into😉
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Mine slept all the time. Need 9 hours of sleep or more.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)