Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Baby girl turning 13...

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
  • 10 Replies

What to do for the party?  I don't have the money for her to have a sweet 16 at 13 so... we are stuck.  Want something memorable, either a nice party or a nice item.

Here's what she already shot down:

Nice jewelry
Spa party (mani-pedis for her and her friends)
Slumber party
Room makeover

She isn't going to get anything "I" (ipod), a laptop (has a smartphone and a tablet)

Can you help out?

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Honestly; I think those suggestions are perfect for 13. Tell her that a party isn't a right, and that if she doesn't want the suggestions you've given then she can do nothing at all for her birthday. Due to some complications (namely DD's sisters being brats) DD didn't get a 21st birthday party, only had 2 friends come over for dinner, and that depressed DD greatly, tell your DD that not everyone gets what they want.

tyfry7496
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Ask her what she would like to do. If its within your budget then do it, if not then she gets nothing. My preschool class would tell her " you get what you get and don't throw a fit!"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:51 PM
I agree with the above, when I was a Girl Scout Leader I used the line, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit lol. Is it that she doesn't want the things you have listed or she just doesn't know what she wants to do? Once you know if it's a party or gift you can start narrowing the choices down from there. I would ask her at 13 to at least make that decision or nothing at all would be happening
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:16 PM

She doesn't seem to think those ideas are very fun or fitting to her and her personality.  She has no idea what she wants to do.  I know it's still 2 months away, but I need to start planning something!

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

I agree with the above, when I was a Girl Scout Leader I used the line, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit lol. Is it that she doesn't want the things you have listed or she just doesn't know what she wants to do? Once you know if it's a party or gift you can start narrowing the choices down from there. I would ask her at 13 to at least make that decision or nothing at all would be happening

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

I did, she has no idea.

Quoting tyfry7496:

Ask her what she would like to do. If its within your budget then do it, if not then she gets nothing. My preschool class would tell her " you get what you get and don't throw a fit!"

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:17 PM

So did I!  She just seems to have no idea what she wants for her birthday or what kind of party to have.

Quoting GleekingOut:

Honestly; I think those suggestions are perfect for 13. Tell her that a party isn't a right, and that if she doesn't want the suggestions you've given then she can do nothing at all for her birthday. Due to some complications (namely DD's sisters being brats) DD didn't get a 21st birthday party, only had 2 friends come over for dinner, and that depressed DD greatly, tell your DD that not everyone gets what they want.

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 12:36 AM
If she continues to have zero ideas for a party I would think that may be a way of saying she doesn't want one. A gift would be the way to go then. Most 13 year olds I know would be fine with a few friends over to spend the night, pizza, rent some movies and cupcakes. Something easy. It shouldn't be a difficult thing.

Quoting fantasticfour:

She doesn't seem to think those ideas are very fun or fitting to her and her personality.  She has no idea what she wants to do.  I know it's still 2 months away, but I need to start planning something!

Quoting bizzeemom2717:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:41 AM
What are some things she likes to do? Is there a movie coming out that she and her friends want to see? The ideas you already came up with are things my DD would have liked at that age. Is there a hobby she has that you can buy her supplies for?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:06 AM

Does she have any ideas of what she would like to do for her birthday? Does she want something over the top like a sweet 16 or is she more into keeping things low key?

I think the spa day or sleep over sounds fun. Is she into anything that could be used to make the sleepover a "theme" type party?

PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:20 AM

A room make over is what my 13 year old would choose

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN