Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Appropriate makeup for 16 year old

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM
  • 20 Replies

My daughter likes doing her hair and makeup in a kind of "retro" style, she's got a short pixie cut and she actually likes having a pale complexion. I just see how her friends do their makeup so much diffently than her, much more subtly. She does her eyes kind of like this:

Do you think this is appropriate for her age? I think it's kind of cute how she liooks like an old time actress, but I do notice how she wears more obvious makeup than her friends. Would you let your kids wear that kind of dramatic eyeliner and lipstick and stuff?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DarlaHood
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's pretty.  I think it's o.k. to do dramatic eyes or eyeliner for a 16-yr-old, and there are ways to do that for day and for night.  If you think she looks cute, it's probably fine for day.  You could always take her to a make-up artist at MAC or Sephora and ask them to do a daytime and nightime look on both of you.  Usually they use the daytime basic make-up and add a couple of things for night like if she were going to a dance or something.  Usually artistic girls like to experiment with make-up.

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:27 AM
I think it's fine. And besides; she's sixteen I think it's not a battle to fight at this age. But If you didn't have worries about it you wouldn't be posting. As long as she's not breaking any rules and you don't have reason to believe she's being sexual with her makeup then I don't see a problem.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 18, 2013 at 6:31 AM
I think it's cute and appropriate for a 16 yo. Are you concerned because its different from what other girls wear? Are you afraid others will make fun of her? I say just leave it alone. Your daughter is expressing herself in a very age appropriate way. If others reactions become an issue then deal with it then.
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:10 AM

At 16, it would be fine with me. If it were me and they eyes were done up I would keep lips a more natural color so the eyes stood out. When I was 16 I wore dramatic make up, I was very into Marilyn. I loved the retro look.

Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:08 AM

I think it looks fine, but also at this age she should be allowed to exercise control over minor decisions. 

MiddleAgeMess
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:11 AM
Makeup and 16yos go hand in hand. Let her play with it.
PurpleHazey
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM

No 16 year old should wear makeup like that.

supermom0094
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Its fine. Make-up is fun 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 9:47 AM

My DD has the same look and has been doing it since she was 16. She like the pin-up girl look, or suicide girls. Make up is individual and should reflect the girl. If she doesn't like what everyone else is wearing then that shouldn't be an issue.

krise
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:00 AM

lol I do my eyes like that most of the time.. I don't see anything wrong with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)