Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

The egg shell crunching is getting unbearable!

Posted by   + Show Post

So this morning I sent a pic of our dog to my son in college and my husband on group messaging. My husband has twitter because of his job and every now and then will check to see if our son or gf has posted anything. So my husband messages me back about something the gf- (we really have been trying our hardest to like her , but today didn't help)-tweeted and he used the word "slutty" in his discription of what she texted. Not being as tech savy as our children, he didn't realize when he replied that  my son would also see his text! I quickly texted my husband privately to warn him but of course it was too late. So then our son texts both of us about how rude that was and that we are belittling him because we both mentioned how cold it was going to be where he is, saying something like we dont think he would know that it is cold. We see it as just conversation, he sees it as us telling him what to do, so I constantly feel that we have to walk on egg shells watching everything we say to him because he takes it personally. I texted him back telling him he was right that what his father said was uncalled for, but I also feel like the stones are always being cast in our direction. I'm sure he and the gf have used some choice words describing us(of course in his eyes that's okay), and my husband is not the one putting some pretty immoral things out there for the world to see-she is,  I did not tell him all this just that his father should not have used that word. This is just one example of the walking on egg shells. And I am not even talking about the twitter comment, just the weather. It's true you can't take back what you say or text! Didn't really want to start the week like this!

So my question to all of you is, do you constantly have to walk on egg shells regarding one of more of your children?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Replies (11-13):
boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:09 AM

Yes.   I don't think of it as walking on eggshells....but it kinda is.     One of our sons has a tendency to twist words, or put new ones in my mouth.   I find myself choosing my words very carefully.

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

No, I say it like it is. My kids know that, don't like it not my problem. I am entitled to an opinion, and I have a right to feel the way I feel. I raised them that way also.

TranquilMind
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

It's so annoying, isn't it?  I've come to the point where I really cannot say much at all to one.  I just have to pray all the time for this one. 

Quoting CTBmom:

Lol! That is exactly what it is like most days with my 15 yr-old ds! If I casually remind him not to fall asleep before he washes his face and brushes his teeth, he takes it as I think he has bad skin and yellow teeth!

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes!

I swear that I say something to one of mine (mid teens)like, "It's really cold outside today!  You should wear a heavy coat."

She thinks I said, "You are a complete idiot who cannot figure out the temperature or anything else and will be a total failure in life.  You would probably go outside in a bikini when it is below zero.  I hate you.  Blah blah blah"

I know EXACTLY what you mean. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)