Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Visit to orthodontist....your experiences...

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM
  • 17 Replies

What do you all think of orthodontists advise and how many of you got braces for your kids? Was it  needed for oral heatlth or more from aethetics. I get confused with these orthodontists. They dont come out openly saying its needed more for aesthetics than oral health. We dont know if we really need it from health point of view or is the orthodontist taking advantage of our situation?

My daughter 14yr old has somewhat crowding 2 lower teeth in front. Its really not that bad. And, even when she closes her lips the teeth dont show. And, her smile is nice too, (if you say that perfect smile comes with perfectly aligned teeth). The orthodontist said she needs to remove 4 premolars to aligh the teeth since her mouth is small and there is not enough room.

My kids have the cleaning done every 6months. So, far there is not a single cavity. Teeth are in perfect condition. Really, I dont see any necessity of  getting this orthodontic procedure done right away, if its from oral health point of view.

But the problem is these orthodontists dont say clearly how far its needed for oral health or is it just for aesthetics. All they say is it would be difficult for her to floss those teeth and maintain the oral hygeine. But, so far with the way it is, she has excellent oral health.

Finally, do you think smile and happiness has anything to do with just how aligned the teeth are or is it the happiness of mind that is more important??

Want to hear your side. Did you come across any issue like this regarding kids?? How did you deal with it?

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sunflowers12
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:13 PM
I only had two if my six kids have braces and the two I them are just finishing up the last year with their retainers... Their teeth were in a very bad way and because of the problems I was able to get help with the cost!!
My oldest dds had a tooth that stuck out and bad crowding and my second son his teeth were all over the place!!!
I had taken them to many different places before I settled on one and kinda glad I did because one place wanted to pull four of my sons teeth problem if they really don't need it how are the the going to come back??

But now that both kids are basically finished with the experience I am happy that their happy with their teeth it's taken a while but it's good to see that they are more confident with their smiles😃
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:01 PM

I had braces as an adult. It was for health reasons, but I love my teeth so much more now that they are straight~ I have TMJ. Straightening my teeth was the first recommended step to alleviating all of the issues I had due to the TMJ. It worked, I have not needed to wear a splint or anything else thus far. My jaw still cracks and pops at times but usually when I am eating something I am not supposed too~ chewy, really sticky stuff or chewing gum. I don't have the headaches and neck strain that I was dealing with.

That said~ our oldest, 19, has had braces, her teeth were almost identical to mine~ lots of overcrowding in a small jaw. We got her braces mainly on the recommendation of the dentist~ he hounded and hounded us to make the ortho consult. Her teeth are beautifully straight now and I wouldn't change our decision, except I would have started her earlier, she was 17.

It was just recommeded by our dentist to have the ortho consult for our 10 almost 11 y/o. We are planning to get his braces started this summer. That way he has time to get used to them before school and football starts.

I am quite sure that our 7, almost 8 y/o will need braces too. Hopefully we can get our older son through them first, lol.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:06 PM

1 - ask your dds.  if the molars aline and her bite is good, then it could be just for esthetics.

2 - my ortho is very upfront about being needed for oral health vs. estetics.... so maybe you need to find a different ortho.  but there is no shame in getting them purely for estetics.

3 - as far as timing.... I didnt do anything until my kids lost ALL their baby teeth.  this isnt the norm any more, but I dont see why I need to put my kid in braces 2 -3 times.  They only had them for esthetics and had them on for 1.5 yrs in high school.

4 - smile = happiness????  yes and no.  A horrible smile does prevent people from feeling comfortable.  I had a friend who never smiled really until she got new teeth in her 30s... it has made a HUGE difference in her life.  But if the smile is not horrible, simply not perfect... well I never had braces, and you will rarely see me not smiling.

MJP76
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:52 PM

My youngest DS will need braces.. But the orthodontist and myself are on the same page, which is to keep an eye on it (visit once a year to make sure it doesn't get worse or painful for DS) and then around 13 or 14 get braces.

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM

I really like our ortho. Out of 4 only my 16 y.o. needed braces.My oldest son had one slightly crooked tooth on the bottom sideish ,our ortho said not really needed.My daughter had quite a few overlapping teeth ,he said he wanted to wait till her face became adult size...wow all straight teeth.16 y.o. is not thrilled because he got late braces comparatively but he needs fewer and for less time because his face grew.Youngest no braces.

I had braces twice very early and then again when my face grew .We currently have a teen friend that is on her second set.The ortho put them on before her face was to grow expecting it to grow a certain amount.She is a tiny girl ,her face didn't grow much and she needed braces to fix the over fix.The ortho is doing this time free.

Go talk to a couple of orthos.Some are braces happy.

DarlaHood
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 8:08 PM

It's pretty common for dentists and orthos to have the idea that pretty much all kids need braces these days.  So asking about the bite and the outcome if she does not get braces is a good idea.  If she has crowding and a small jaw, and her wisdom teeth could still come in, it could be a problem.  You may want to consider having the wisdom teeth removed at some point so they don't cause a problem. I would get a second opinion and ask both orthos a lot of questions about the outcomes for different choices.

jrm99
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Both of my kids had to get braces...their teeth were very crooked...my daughter (age 17 now) had them removed in 8th grade and her smile is wonderful now.  My son (age 13) will probably be done this year and they are coming along very nicely.  They had so many alignment problems because they were so crooked and the braces were pretty much a necessity....but I would have done everything I could have to ensure they had a great smile, even if it was just for cosmetic purposes.  I believe it is such a confidence booster for children to have a great smile.  I remember back when I was still in grade school and was begging them to put braces on my teeth but I was too young at that point...my teeth were SO crooked...I was thrilled when I got the braces on.  I remember too at one of my son's birthday parties years ago...I was taking a picture of each child and one of them would not smile for me because he said he was embarrassed by his crooked teeth...and these kids were too young for braces at that point.  It just broke my heart the way he said it...he wasn't even old enough to get braces and already felt uncomfortable in showing his teeth (yay, he's got braces now that he's older and his teeth look great).  I have known other people also that didn't get braces when they were kids and then ended up getting braces as adults and had said they were embarrassed by their teeth when they were young.   Hopefully dental insurance can cover some of this for you as it is a huge expense but to me and my kids, it was so worth it.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 11:32 PM

I needed braces as a child.  I had several teeth that grew in behind the teeth in the front bottom.  It was more for oral health than anything like that because a tooth brush wasn't going to get between them and floss was just not enough. My mom refused to have my teeth pulled.  I have perfectly alligned teeth now.

Moving on, with braces, you're pretty much screwed the rest of your life.  Everyone I know that has ever had braces now has soft set teeth.  In other words, they are movable.  Not wiggly but almost.

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fantasticfour:  Moving on, with braces, you're pretty much screwed the rest of your life.  Everyone I know that has ever had braces now has soft set teeth.  In other words, they are movable.  Not wiggly but almost.

That is simply the most  ridiculous statement I've ever seen.  I'm 60, and half the people I grew up with had braces, and their teeth are just fine.  I've been a dental hygienist for 20 years, and 90% of the patients I've seen over the years are just fine.  There are, of course, incompetant orthodontists, just like there are incompetant doctors, lawyers, plumbers and auto mechanics.  Buyer beware.  Check references.  Get several opinions.  DON'T take the cheapest guy--there's a REASON he's the cheapest. 

BTW, the USUAL cause of movable teeth is periodontal disease, which is caused by not FLOSSING DAILY, not brushing 2X a DAY, and not having professional cleanings done at LEAST twice a year, to remove hard deposits from beneath the gumline.  Cause #2 is smoking.  Cause #3 is uncontrolled systemic disease--diabetes and high blood pressure for instance.

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:08 AM
I have to wonder if the people you know have periodontal disease, either from poor oral hygiene, smoking or not enough fluoride in the water? The reason I ask, I had braces, most of my entire family has had braces, along with the friends I grew up with and I don't know a single person who has experienced that from braces? I have heard of incompetent orthodontists just like I have heard of incompetent dentists, doctors, ect but they are far and few between.

Quoting fantasticfour:

I needed braces as a child.  I had several teeth that grew in behind the teeth in the front bottom.  It was more for oral health than anything like that because a tooth brush wasn't going to get between them and floss was just not enough. My mom refused to have my teeth pulled.  I have perfectly alligned teeth now.

Moving on, with braces, you're pretty much screwed the rest of your life.  Everyone I know that has ever had braces now has soft set teeth.  In other words, they are movable.  Not wiggly but almost.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)