Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Nosebleeds

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
  • 9 Replies
I got a call from my 16 yr olds school. At that time he had had a nosebleed for about 30 minutes. I drove to the school (35 minutes away) to get him. His nose ended up bleeding for 45 minutes to an hour total. I picked him up and am going to take him by the doctor at 2:40. Got any ideas why? Do you think I am over reacting?
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM

Has he taken any asprin recently (thins the blood)?  I probably would have just called and spoke with a nurse to see if it warrented a visit but that is just me.  My daughter gets them fairly regularly about once a week during the winter because the the dryer air.  She had one a couple of days ago and it lasted about 20 minutes. 

JodyLane555
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM
I had blood vessels close to the surface in my nostril and got terrible nosebleeds. I went to ent and had it carterized no bleeds since.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Could be just the dry air in the school.  Is he prone to nosebleeds?

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM

this was the same for me and my brother too.

Quoting JodyLane555:

I had blood vessels close to the surface in my nostril and got terrible nosebleeds. I went to ent and had it carterized no bleeds since.

curious... do you have a poor sense of smell?  I do and i always wondered if it was because of the cauterization.  Oh golly did i hate that recovery, felt like I had a giant boogie in my nose for weeks. 

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Could be just the dry air in the school.  Is he prone to nosebleeds?

I was thinking the same thing. Has he had a cold or sinus infection recently?

JodyLane555
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:10 PM
I hated it it hurt so bad. not sure about my smelled though. seems ok.

Quoting sahlady:

this was the same for me and my brother too.

Quoting JodyLane555:

curious... do you have a poor sense of smell?  I do and i always wondered if it was because of the cauterization.  Oh golly did i hate that recovery, felt like I had a giant boogie in my nose for weeks. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tnoblin5
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:05 PM
I took him to the doc. No evidence of any infections. After the doc checked him over, she said that it was probably a combination of the dry air and maybe allergies. My boy has been prone to nosebleeds but not ones that lasted for almost an hour. Made me a little worried. She said saline nose spray and vasoline inside his nostrils.
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 18, 2013 at 7:35 PM

Good news from the doctor. If her advice helps prevent him from having another nose bleed that lasts that long, it was definitely worth the visit.

I get them in the winter if I don't have a humidifier in our bedroom.

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:22 AM
I used to get them from allergies as a kid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN