Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Concerns about Band trip to Disney.

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
  • 36 Replies

In 2 1/2 weeks my oldest daughter is going with her High school band to Disney in Orlando.  I have some family surprised that I am letting her go.  She is 15 and very responsible, mature and independent.  They are to stay in groups of 4 or more while at the parks with check ins with accompanying adults every two hours.  I have told her she is not to go anywhere alone including the bathroom lol.  She is also to call me (not text) twice a day.  Around mid-day and in the evening after they get back to the hotel.  I know all the other teens that are in her "group" and that she is rooming with.  I have known them and their parents since all of them were in Kindergarten.  Do you all feel I am being reasonable?  I have even had a family member suggest I go along on the trip too.  Which is feasable since I have two other children at home and because of cost.  Also, does anyone know roughly how much it costs for food at the parks?  She has to pay for all her own meals and I want to be certain she brings enough money.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Our school here has trips all the time NYC, Florida, and international. Mine went on 5th grade trips wthout me, and 8th grade trips without me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:28 PM

Actually I am more concerned about her getting homesick over anything.  This is her first time being anywhere that far away from home before.   She went to band camp for the first time (she is a Freshman) for a week this past summer and the first two days she called crying each day.  She is very much a home body but I think she will do okay because she is so excited about it.

KarenR
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

She will be so busy she won't have time to be homesick. Plus she is a little older and probably a little more independent. She will have so much fun and making wonderful high school memories!

Quoting Txlisa7969:

Actually I am more concerned about her getting homesick over anything.  This is her first time being anywhere that far away from home before.   She went to band camp for the first time (she is a Freshman) for a week this past summer and the first two days she called crying each day.  She is very much a home body but I think she will do okay because she is so excited about it.

Lili-plus-3
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

She'll have a blast. My son had a band trip to Disney last year. He took $150 with him and came back with change.  

the3Rs
by Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Completely reasonable.  My 8th grade son is going on a school sponsored Washington D.C. trip in June.  I went when I was in 8th grade.  Our French class took kids to France every other year in high school.  I see nothing wrong with it and it's a terrific experience for the kids.

CatFishMom
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:46 PM

If you are comfortable with it and you trust the adults going to supervise, then yes, you are responsible. Shes old enough at fifteen to hopefully know right from wrong and you do have to let them go eventually. (I have people thinking Im never going to do that since I hold so tight to my four year old and that presumption irritates me) If you have any reservations, I would suggest listening to that little inner voice, but otherwise, wish her well and hope she has a good time. Keep an eye on the weather because it's cold here now! And food is expensive but it's been a long time since Ive been so I dont know how much to suggest-at least a hundred, maybe more depending on how long shes staying.

sahlady
by Gold Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

i think it will be a blast.  im surprised anyone would have issue with it.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this

I would contact the band instructor for information on how much to give her for food.  I'm sure that the instructor has done this a time or two.  It's going to be expensive.

As far as letting her go, I went with my 8th grade class and we had ONE check in, at noon, and better be at the bus by 5pm or you were riding home with the teacher.  Only one person didn't make check in and he was a problem the entire school year and almost didn't get to go because of behavior problems.

With today's problems, you're definitely right about the bathrooms, take a buddy.  Always take a buddy no matter what, keep your cell on you at all times, and be sure to have her text pictures of what she sees so you can be jealous of her good time.  When you use the word jealous I've learned you not only get pics of the senery but also you get tons of the girls having fun.

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Thank you so much everyone for the reassurance.  I am very confident in her, just have a couple of worry wart Grandparents and a concerned Step-Dad lol.  The only thing that pulls at me a little is the fact that she will be several states away.  We live in east Texas and the furthest she has been thus far has been a couple of hundred miles in Dallas to go to Six Flags.   But I am so excited for her and she knows to send me tons of pictures on her phone if she has the time :D

PinkButterfly66
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Food at the park is expensive I would count on $15-20 per meal. If she's eating lunch and dinner there ... $45-50.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)