Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Concerns about Band trip to Disney.

Posted by   + Show Post

In 2 1/2 weeks my oldest daughter is going with her High school band to Disney in Orlando.  I have some family surprised that I am letting her go.  She is 15 and very responsible, mature and independent.  They are to stay in groups of 4 or more while at the parks with check ins with accompanying adults every two hours.  I have told her she is not to go anywhere alone including the bathroom lol.  She is also to call me (not text) twice a day.  Around mid-day and in the evening after they get back to the hotel.  I know all the other teens that are in her "group" and that she is rooming with.  I have known them and their parents since all of them were in Kindergarten.  Do you all feel I am being reasonable?  I have even had a family member suggest I go along on the trip too.  Which is feasable since I have two other children at home and because of cost.  Also, does anyone know roughly how much it costs for food at the parks?  She has to pay for all her own meals and I want to be certain she brings enough money.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:22 PM
Replies (31-36):
jamamama00
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:00 AM

My cousin lived in E Tx (Whitehouse, Troup) and went to FL several times w/ band. It was totally fine. I think it would be unreasonable for you to NOT let her go! She is going to be going to college before you know it, and any supervised experience away from home and parents will be a good thing. I've been to the World many times and I think she will need at least fifty per day for food/drink/souveneirs. Everything there is very expensive.

Quoting Txlisa7969:

Thank you so much everyone for the reassurance.  I am very confident in her, just have a couple of worry wart Grandparents and a concerned Step-Dad lol.  The only thing that pulls at me a little is the fact that she will be several states away.  We live in east Texas and the furthest she has been thus far has been a couple of hundred miles in Dallas to go to Six Flags.   But I am so excited for her and she knows to send me tons of pictures on her phone if she has the time :D

nsparky1964
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 10:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Hopefully shell love marching band and the trips..I was in mb, a lifetime ago, without a doubt made hs bearable!..so jealous and happy for her!!!!!
I would think food in the park is expensive...I'd say 40-50 + souvenirs...

Quoting Txlisa7969:

Actually I am more concerned about her getting homesick over anything.  This is her first time being anywhere that far away from home before.   She went to band camp for the first time (she is a Freshman) for a week this past summer and the first two days she called crying each day.  She is very much a home body but I think she will do okay because she is so excited about it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:05 PM
I sent my oldest to Boy Scout National Jamboree for TWENTY-ONE DAYS when he was only 12 1/2 years old. He was a little homesick the last week but overall it was a great experience.

You know your DD best. If you think she is ready, let her go and have fun!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hanniwrencher
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 2:29 PM
1 mom liked this

perfectly reasonable... my 2nd oldest dd (she's 17) went last year with her band. they were in a parade at disney world... she had a blast... and we live in texas too , what part are you in? my dd had a blast... this year they are doing a trip to six flags in dallas in the spring... (my dd plays the clarinet, what does yours play?)

also, we gave our dd - if i remember right around $120 - $150- for meals- and she had enough for her meals, and 'cheap' like souvenir shop -'knock off' disney souvenir items... 

Txlisa7969
by Bronze Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Quoting hanniwrencher:

perfectly reasonable... my 2nd oldest dd (she's 17) went last year with her band. they were in a parade at disney world... she had a blast... and we live in texas too , what part are you in? my dd had a blast... this year they are doing a trip to six flags in dallas in the spring... (my dd plays the clarinet, what does yours play?)

also, we gave our dd - if i remember right around $120 - $150- for meals- and she had enough for her meals, and 'cheap' like souvenir shop -'knock off' disney souvenir items... 

We live in East Texas around the Tyler/Longview area.  My daughter also plays the clarinet.  I have total confidence in her to be responsible, I am just dealing with a couple of worrywart family members lol. 

proudmother5946
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I just put my daughter (13) on a plane to Honolulu this morning. She's in a Skills USA competition. I admit I was nervous and it's only a half hour flight! She'll be home tomorrow night. I gave her $90 for food, she's responsible for 1 breakfast and two dinners. They'll get to go shopping at the Ala Moana shopping center too.
She's not nervous at all.
Your daughter will have a fantastic time at Disneyworld. Tell her to takes lots of pictures!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)