Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Mom's had the experience of taking their "not really a dead beat" BD to court for Child Support?

Posted by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
  • 2 Replies

Hey Ladies, 

I am taking my child father to court for Child Support with Tuition add-on. He believes he is the Baby Father of the year because he pays the tuition LATE (where the school threatens to kick my child out) and with reimbursement from his job. He screams, our child is on his medical insurance and he pays his cell bill and he picks him up on his designated days. We have a almost joint situation but i have him 3.5 days and one extra night and he has him 2.5 days and 3 nights to my 4 nights.  I take good care of him as well and a much longer laundry list of things that I do as well as a mother. He feels those three things trumps everything. The court said they dont care about a cell phone.

My son is 14 going on 15. I pay the school too but a lower amount and the BD wants us to go half down the middle but he makes 70-80k a year and I make 20-30. He feels I shouldn't pay a third and I should pay half. Mind you he has full tuition reimbursement from his job and told me if I don't do it he will allow him to get kicked out of school. Well that almost happened but I begged the school to keep him in and I made a payment arrangement for him.  So I am sick of this crap and just wnat the money to come directly out of his check because he pays not on time and only when he feels like it. 

A mutual friend told me that since he's "not really a dead-beat" I may not have a case.

Anybody out there situations like mine? I would love to hear it.

Thanks in advance

Toshi

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Personally I think that private school is not a necessity and therefore should not be required in the child support.  If you can afford to put your child in private school, more power to you but I don't think anyone should have to be forced to put their child in private school and then pay for it against their will.

I have never heard of a company reimbursing an employee because their kid went to private school.  Sounds a little fishy to me but whatever, might be a great company.

You can take the father back to court but in most places if there is not a 20-40% change in circumstances (loss or gain of wages, etc.) you have no case to add more on top of the child support you are already getting. 

Here's the kicker.  As long as he pays you SOMETHING every month he's not exactly in violation.  Sure they can garnish wages, but if he doesn't work much or takes his pay under the table you're screwed.  That happened in my case.  He paid 5 bucks a month just to keep them from coming after him.

Toshi92
by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Wow fantastic four,

Thats what I don't want to be is screwed! He has been paying  for the tuituion since my child was 2. I was told that 9 times out of 10 a judge isnt going to allow him not to anymore. But we'll see. He doesnt pay me anything any month. all he does is pay tuition and thats when he feels like it or from reiumbursment that he uses for his own personal stuff . It's a mess -I will see. Thank you

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN