Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Advice Needed: What are some effective ways to punish my Pre teen...

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM
  • 10 Replies

What are some effective ways to punish my Pre-teen for misuse on the Internet?

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KerryK
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Take away her internet privileges for a while, then put parental controls on the computer.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeautyJ07
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:40 AM

Hey Kerry thanks! This is the second time they have done this... I have tried that before for over 6months in fact. But apparently that didn't work now I'm trying to think of a more creative punishment.

skylerblue
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:08 AM
I'm not sure if they have phones but that normally hurts badly or tv privileges or more chores around the house. The phone is the most effective for me as that seems to be their lifeline to their friends and they feel like they are dying with out their phone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BeautyJ07
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Ty Skylerblue! Well last time I didn't take the phone however, this time I did! I think I am going to limit the texting and set her phone to only call 5 numbers! I have taken all electronics and no extra-curricular activities this week! Along with creative chores!!!

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Quoting BeautyJ07:

Ty Skylerblue! Well last time I didn't take the phone however, this time I did! I think I am going to limit the texting and set her phone to only call 5 numbers! I have taken all electronics and no extra-curricular activities this week! Along with creative chores!!!

This is what I would do too in your place.

Do you mind sharing how she misused the internet?

BeautyJ07
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:28 AM

She created a fake email and tried to hide it until I confronted her about it.

BeautyJ07
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I believe she might be hanging with a new friend because after searching all deleted history and text messages my husband is a computer whiz and Marine figured out that a new friend might have had something to do with it

Maverick1957
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Agree, take away the  PRIVILEDGE and put monitoring on computer.  If she continues to misuse after [CONSEQUENCE] is lifted, do it again, but longer this time.   Start now b/c by the time they get into late teens...it's 10x harder. And stand your ground!  

I would also like to know how she misused.

BeautyJ07
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Mavrick1957 Ty! Any advice is helpful! She created an email and deleted Internet and texting history that my husband found anyway! 

justamomma2
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:12 AM

would love to know how one can check deleted internet history and find texting history.  I am such an non-techy person.  I am barely figuring out how to set parental controls.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)