Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm seeking advice on teen cutting

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM
  • 9 Replies
  • Hi, i have a 14 yr daughter who is cutting herself. She is in therapy and taking Celexa for anti anxiety although it doesnt seem to be helping. I'm asking for ideas or advice as I feel im at the end of my rope.
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I'm glad she's in therapy. I don't have any experience with this subject. Here's a BUMP.

(HUGS)

Hannahluvsdogs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM
If you don't feel that her medication is helping, I would talk to her doctor about it. Maybe there's something else that would work better.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leighp1
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My daughter was on Celexa as well (not for cutting though)  It did not seem to be helping her either.  They have changed her meds to Elavil (think that is how it is spelled).  It's not been long enough for me to tell if it is helping or not.  I would say that she needs to go back to the doctor and change the meds.  There really is no one special thing that will help.  Let her know you are there for her and she can talk without being judged.  It may be that she needs an inpatient treatment. 

I hope you find some answers...But please get her to see the doctor to see if she needs a med change. 

dlsbucky
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Maybe a different med, or maybe a dfferent therapist.  If it is not working, one or both have to change.

lazyd
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:06 PM

My 14yo daughter was a cutter too.  She is in therapy.  She is on abilify.  Just go back to the doctor and express your concerns.  

bizzeemom2717
by Jen on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:18 PM

Hugs and hang in there, if you trust the therapist I would go with their advice. I don't know anything about this, but do know there are so many posts just in this group with concerned parents, I can only imagine how scary and frustrating. group hug

MJP76
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Have you brought your concerns up to the therapist?

momagain98
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:55 PM

I wish I could give you some advice... My fifteen year old daughter is doing the same but I won't put her on meds... I confronted her and made her show me her arms... I am horrified but trying not to let this get out of hand... for my daugher, I think it's an attention getting strategy.. sounds sick but my daughter is not a birth child of mine, I was married to her father who is an alcoholic and he abandoned her 8 yrs ago, her birth mother also abandoned her so I fought them in court and was awarded custody... some of my daughters anger and frustrations are due to this abandonment.... I'll pray for you and your daughter that answers/help will come soon!!

MrsBLB
by Missi on Feb. 19, 2013 at 7:18 PM

I would talk with the therapist.  Keep the lines of communication open all the way around.  Hang in there mom.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)