Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How much time is too much

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM
  • 23 Replies
I need to get my sons off the XBox, computer, IPad, and cell phones. What is a reasonable amount of time each evening for them to be on them? How about weekends? My 16-year-old acts like I'm severing one of his limbs when I cut him off for any length of time. Are these things legitimately addictive? When I was a kid, none of these things existed, yet somehow we all managed to survive just fine. Thanks!

daisykat
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MJP76
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM

They say no more than two hours a day, unless they are using them for homework.

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 11:51 PM

Yes, they are addictive; Yes, kids spend WAAAY too much time on them.  IMHO, during the week, they should not be on them at home, at all.  Weekends, AFTER schoolwork, homework, chores, jobs, extracurriculars, and volunteerism, if there is any time left over, then YOU decide how much is OK.  It's just like anything they waste time on.  Would you let your 16yo park in front of the TV for 8 hours a day?  Lay on the sofa for 8 hours a day?

GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 12:07 AM

Unless it's for homework I'd say an hour after dinner for each child (not each activity) on the weekend I used to actually wake my DD up, get her to have breakfast, have a shower, get dressed, hand her her purse and tell her not to be back until at least 4.30 otherwise she'd sit on her computer all day. It worked until my DH told me it was dangerous and now she's back to sitting on her ass all day.

bluelola
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I have a 16-year-old too and he is attached to his lap top.  Last year when he was 15, he had a desk top computer in the rec room downstairs so when we said it was time to "shut it down" at 10:30-11 pm, he did and went upstairs to bed.  Now he has a lap top that he bought with his own money because he has a job and we still tell him to shut it down by 11.  Well, he doesn't because I wake up at 1:00 am and go to the bathroom and there he is..... still on his computer.  Time to disconnect the wireless internet.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 8:07 AM
School nights no computer time except for school. Phone time for talking or texting, only when homework was done and for 30 min. 9pm phone was mine. We did not have video games in our home. I would say none on school nights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

We limit Xbox to an hour on school nights. Otherwise, we don't limit them as long as he isn't grounded (which includes keeping his grades up) and gets off electronics when we tell him too (like to do chores or leave for social gatherings or bedtime). 

coleysmama
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:24 AM
Ds is 15 and has so much HW, clubs and scouts that he doesn't have much time to play during the week so I don't have that battle to limit it.

On the weekend he plays for quite few hrs after we have dinner as a family. I let him because he is a good kid, great student and its his way to unwind. I should mention that he does have one weekend a month when he goes camping Fri-Sun and its completely technology free besides the ipod for music on the ride to and from.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I wish I could help but SS16 dismisses me every time I try to set a limit.  I keep pushing for five hours a day on weekends and two hours a day on weekdays after schoolwork is done.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:56 AM
2 moms liked this
Take the video game, computer or whatever. He is a kid and the parent sets the rules.

Quoting LoveonHollySt:

I wish I could help but SS16 dismisses me every time I try to set a limit.  I keep pushing for five hours a day on weekends and two hours a day on weekdays after schoolwork is done.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveonHollySt
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 11:02 AM
1 mom liked this

When I am being told by his father to let it go what am I supposed to do?  I have talked and yelled and wrote letters, and came up with rules and printed them off and hung them in the house.  If this is the least I have to worry about I will take it.  At least he isn't fighting and being kicked out of school anymore.  Small victories and one thing at a time.

Quoting atlmom2:

Take the video game, computer or whatever. He is a kid and the parent sets the rules.

Quoting LoveonHollySt:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN