Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Does anyone have a teen w/bulimia?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:32 AM
  • 20 Replies

And what were the signs? Our teen is 15 and for the past month or so I've wondered if she was throwing up her food. 

I know she is obsessed with her weight and is constantly making comments about being fat.  She is not fat, not even chubby really.

Anyway - at first I coud sense a beer like smell coming from the guest bathroom that she uses.  But I couldnt tell where it was coming from.  The smell kept getting worse.  I checked for molds, water stains, sprayed all the walls w/lysol and bleach, even tried vinegar.  It is horrible pungent smell that I would describe now as beer vomit.  Dh claims it just smells like cider.  It is most strong after she takes a shower.

Anyway - I asked a few people if they could think of anything that could cause such a smell as our master bath is fine.  And everyone thought it was the drain.  (which never occurred to me). 

So i cleaned the shower/tub drain and even the sink drain to be surse- poured boiling hot water then bleach then boiling water and salt then vinegar then even more boiling water and salt. Cleaned all the tile in the shower again.  So finally we had a nice vinegar smell and no icky smell at all.  I thought ok.

Well Teen 15 took a shower tonight and the vomit smell is back.  The only thing I can think of is she must be throwing up in there.

Or can anyone think of another idea that I am missing?

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 4:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:53 AM
Get her counseling.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 8:55 AM
I'm not really sure how you can get her counselling without her admitting she has a problem. Especially when in some stages the age of medical consent is 14. She may be able to refuse counselling. I would do two things; first I would straight up ask her if she knew what the smell was from the bathroom. If she denies it and it stops, well you've got your answer. If she says it's her, you've got your answer and you can proceed with counselling. HOWEVER if she says no and the smell still continues, I would leave something of mine in the bathroom and then go in there while the taps are on and see if it's her vomiting :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Yes, get creative in your detective work. Remember, caught early she may stop. This can be a fatal disease.

Quoting GleekingOut:

I'm not really sure how you can get her counselling without her admitting she has a problem. Especially when in some stages the age of medical consent is 14. She may be able to refuse counselling. I would do two things; first I would straight up ask her if she knew what the smell was from the bathroom. If she denies it and it stops, well you've got your answer. If she says it's her, you've got your answer and you can proceed with counselling. HOWEVER if she says no and the smell still continues, I would leave something of mine in the bathroom and then go in there while the taps are on and see if it's her vomiting :/

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GleekingOut
by Silver Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:12 AM
I have to point out too mom, that if it turns out it is her throwing up, until she's better; you won't be able to give her any privacy except for sleeping. Bulimics will utilise any bathroom time they get, showers will have to be taken with you either in the room or at the (open) door. The toilet door will not be allowed to be locked in case you suspect she's taking too long. The other BIG thing (besides counselling) limit her water intake to one glass an hour (making sure she doesn't skull it all) and removing all icecream from your house. Water and icecream are the easiest thing to throw up and often a bulimic will drink as much water as possible before a vomiting session or have a big bowl of icecream before hand so that it's easier to empty her stomach. But I really hope it's just your shower being difficult. :/
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mindysue852
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I wish your family the best and hope that your daughter can get past this. My sister was bulimic for 3 years and it was so heartbreaking because no matter how I confronted her about it she denied that she was making herself puke. She just coincidentally did after every single meal. My mom was in denial as well and never got her help. My sister had kids on her own young and to my knowledge she kind of just snapped out of it but since I no longer live with her I can't be sure

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
2 moms liked this

DD is not bulimic but has had bulimic like sessions when she binges. Sh has an ED and trust it's not fun and its a hard road. Until she admit she has a problem there is NOTHING you can do but be supportive. I know that all  patients with ED's have triggers and finding the trigger is the biggest problem. You say she thinks she fat, well theres your red flag momma. Start looking for other signs laxatives in her room,extended time in the bathroom. If she has a tumblr check her web history as teens tend to post a lot of stuff on it about what is going on.  If your DD is truly suffering from an ED she needs counselling and to be followed by a medical professional for weight checks and see a nutritionist. This will help her take back the control over food .

Good luck momma its a hard road to travel for both the family and the child .

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Sorry, I have no experience with this. 

I did find this on the internet from a local program that I have seen advertised on billboards:

How Can I Tell is there’s a Problem? This 7 question Self Scoring Tool for family or friends may help you:

1. Does it seem to you that your loved one has lost control over how she or he eats?
  2. Does your loved one ever make him/herself sick because they feel uncomfortably full?
  3. Does your loved one believe she/he is fat, even when others say she/he is too thin?
  4. Do food and/or thoughts about food dominate your loved one’s life?
  5. Do thoughts about changing his/her body or weight dominate your loved one’s life?
  6. Are shared meals difficult because of your loved one’s eating behavior or comments about food, eating, or body image?
  7. Are you or others worried about your loved one’s weight?

In this informal survey, 2 or more "yes" answers strongly indicate the presence of disordered eating. (Adapted from the Scoff Questionnaire by Morgan, Reid & Lacy-BMJ, 1999.)

http://www.emilyprogram.com/for-families/eating_disorder_assessment_tool_for_family_and_friends/

LuckyMom822
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM

I had a friend whose dd is bulimic. She would throw up in bags and store the bags. They would find the bags later. I don't know why she didn't throw the bags away but how do you explain what they are doing to begin with? Maybe she wanted them to find it? I don't know. I would literally stand guard outside the door of the bathroom and listen. If you hear her vomiting on more than one occassion, I would unlock the door and walk in. Call her on it. Tell her what you have been hearing. She will probably admit it. Then you will have your answer about counseling. My friend's dd went thru intensive counseling and she no longer does it. FYI - It came out that she started doing this after a boy told her that he liked girls that were skinny. She was honest to God skinny. I guess he liked the razor thin model look or he was just being cruel. This made her start the bulimia. She is an overachieving straight A student with college scholarships. I think that this was first time she ran across someone that she couldn't please and it tore her out of the mental frame. It was the first time she couldn't acheive something and she was determined to make it happen. IMO anyway.

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:18 PM
2 moms liked this

While it is true that she will not begin to heal till she admits she has a problem, a counselor will help her ADMIT she has a problem.  Don't waste time trying to "catch" her vomiting.  People can, and have, done physical damage from the force of the vomiting.  Dh's mom died. Please take her NOW. 

bexsmum
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 1:34 PM

My DD suffered silently for 3 yrs she only binged and purged a few times so we didn't have those flags. DD was always a picky eater and some sensory issues as well as OCD. I am postive this didn't help the situation at all. I am ever so thankful for positive highschool coaches who would catch the triggers faster than we did as she would over exercise to combat the extra calories. many of her track team were aware of the issues and helped as well. When she went away to collage and lost a huge portion of her supporrt system she finally looked for outside help and admitted to the problem and asked for help.  GET HER A Drfor a full physical it might be the start you need

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)