Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Should I let my son visit a girl on Spring Break?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 28 Replies

My son is 17, and hasn't really dated seriously. He mostly goes out with groups of friends, and hangs out with both boys and girls as friends. He's a good student, and not into drugs, partying, etc. He has a female friend who moved out of state about 6 months ago. He has said he would like to go stay with her family for a few days at Spring Break. I don't know her parents well enough to know how well they would they would set curfews, monitor them, etc. One part of me says he could do whatever here or there. The other says it's just a bad idea to put a teenage boy and girl in the same house overnight. What do you think? 

by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:19 PM
1 mom liked this

If you don't know the parents that well, it's a big no. 

Keep in mind that they would probably say no themselves, if they don't know you.

atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:20 PM
No
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MomluvsJosh
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute...would it matter if I talked to her parents about my expectations?

gdiamante
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting MomluvsJosh:

Just to play devil's advocate for a minute...would it matter if I talked to her parents about my expectations?

It could help. But keep in mind that we don't even know whose idea this was. Any invitation for him to visit should have come from them to you, since the kids are minors.

Talk to them and they may just say, "What? We never said he could come here!"

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:45 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. My DS and his gf now both 20 have been together for 3 years. Senior year at age 18 we took all of the kids to the lake. They slept in separate bedrooms and were supervised. It all depends on supervision and parents.

Quoting MomluvsJosh:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:48 PM
No
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hollydaze1974
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Why not discuss it with her parents?
MomluvsJosh
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Good point---they may not even know anything about it. I think I will ask him for their number and have a chat with them before making a decision. Thanks!

sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:47 PM
No. Very bad idea.
Carmel63
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:28 PM
4 moms liked this

I was faced with a similar decision recently, and I said yes.  My daughter is seventeen, and will be a legal adult in a few months, and will be moving out of state in six months.  If I can't trust her to make good decisions now, we are in big trouble in a few months when she will have no adult supervision.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)