Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Driving lessons...

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
  • 3 Replies
My oldest is getting driver's Ed in the fall. I've been having him drive my car in my parent's private community for a while and he's doing pretty well.

Now, my dad has offered to sell DS his lil Toyota truck. I LOVE this truckand with a lil TLC it will be great for DS.

The catch?? It's a stick shift..lol.. and DS1 has been scared to learn.

I pulled out some Mommy psychology today and asked my 12 yo if he wanted to try. He gave it a shot and guess who came out yelling, "He can't drive MY truck!"...lol

DS1 did great, even working the clutch and shifting on his own! He is so excited now that, "It wasn't as hard as I thought!"
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 11:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Manth
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 2:03 AM

My daughters are taking driving lessons now.  We've gone with a professional driving school since there are reasons we can't take them out (me because I don't drive for medical reasons and DH because he lost his licence for a while and hasn't had it back long enough yet to act as Instructor Driver).  We're in Australia so Driver's Ed isn't available through the school.

We're starting them out on an automatic car because the car they will mostly be driving is automatic. It was also their Grandfather's - he can no longer drive for medical reasons and decided that rather than sell the car he would give it to his only grandchildren.  However we have asked and their driving teacher has agreed that it's a good idea to have some lessons in a stick shift car (and actually get their licences in the stick shift so they can legally drive both, it makes a difference in Australia).  He has both kinds of car and teaches both so they can still learn with him which is good as they feel comfortable with their instructor.   

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:48 AM

We have sticks and automatics so my kids have to learn both (although for the test we use the automatics). We basically took them for a drive, explained how it worked, took them home, handed them the keys and said 'good luck'. We found that letting the figure it out on their own worked a lot better then having us over their shoulders. I think it's a nerve thing more then anything. Usually within a week they would have it down pat.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Haha...poor DS was white knuckled as he was driving. He was getting more relaxed as he went. We only drove about 15 min.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)