Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

2/27 Today is...

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:14 AM
  • 19 Replies

Polar Bear Day

It's my special day!!!

When : Always February 27th

Polar Bear Day celebrates the world's largest carnivore. A polar bear can grow up to nine feet tall(when standing) and 1400 pounds. They are a favorite at zoos around the country. Polar bears live at the North Pole region, and are native to Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Norway, and Russia.  

Need some ideas on how to celebrate today?  Tops on my list is visiting the local zoo to see  live polar bears. Teachers like to use this day to teach about polar bears and other bears, as kids are fascinated with all kinds of bears. Also, check the nature channels on cable Tv. The networks often pick up on holidays like today, and run documentaries.

Did you Know? It is believed that all polar bears are left handed.

What is your favorite kind of bear to see at the zoo?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atlmom2
by Susie on Feb. 27, 2013 at 8:37 AM
Giant Pandas in San Diego
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:11 AM

I love to see the grizzly bears and the polar bears at the zoos here. 

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I don't have a favorite bear, I like them all equally.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Have you heard that the polar bear and the grizzly bear have actually started breeding and are creating a pizzly (yes that's the word they are using).  This thing can grow HUGE and is extremely dangerous.

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

Have you heard that the polar bear and the grizzly bear have actually started breeding and are creating a pizzly (yes that's the word they are using).  This thing can grow HUGE and is extremely dangerous.

Really ?

That would be a real concern in places like Anchorage.Brown bears are not extremely aggressive and are everywhere but polar bears are very aggressive but rarely come south into populated communities.We saw lots of bear when we were in Anchorage in their late spring but they left when we raised our arms and shouted unless we were salmon fishing.Then we left the fish and we left...lol...made our oldest son upset.He lived there...he said we were training the bear to scare of fisherman to get an easy lunch.haha so we were supposed to take the fish and leave ????The bear would follow...sometimes I am surprised he survived Alaska.

Just looked this up ...wow 

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

panda

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 1:55 PM

Quoting drfink:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Really ?

That would be a real concern in places like Anchorage.Brown bears are not extremely aggressive and are everywhere but polar bears are very aggressive but rarely come south into populated communities.We saw lots of bear when we were in Anchorage in their late spring but they left when we raised our arms and shouted unless we were salmon fishing.Then we left the fish and we left...lol...made our oldest son upset.He lived there...he said we were training the bear to scare of fisherman to get an easy lunch.haha so we were supposed to take the fish and leave ????The bear would follow...sometimes I am surprised he survived Alaska.

Just looked this up ...wow 

Amazing isn't it?  A friend of mine saw it in his magazine he gets, I think it's called backpacker but I'm not sure.  He wants to go hunt them I think.  Man shoots with arrows, not sure how he would be able to stop something that big!

02nana07
by Ida on Feb. 27, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Any kind I love bears

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM

I like any type of bear but love to see grizzly bears.

mumsy2three
by Shauna on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:21 PM

Quoting fantasticfour:

I've not heard this. Sounds scary!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN