Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Polar Bear Day

It's my special day!!!

When : Always February 27th

Polar Bear Day celebrates the world's largest carnivore. A polar bear can grow up to nine feet tall(when standing) and 1400 pounds. They are a favorite at zoos around the country. Polar bears live at the North Pole region, and are native to Alaska, Canada, Greenland, Norway, and Russia.  

Need some ideas on how to celebrate today?  Tops on my list is visiting the local zoo to see  live polar bears. Teachers like to use this day to teach about polar bears and other bears, as kids are fascinated with all kinds of bears. Also, check the nature channels on cable Tv. The networks often pick up on holidays like today, and run documentaries.

Did you Know? It is believed that all polar bears are left handed.

What is your favorite kind of bear to see at the zoo?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:14 AM
Replies (11-19):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Quoting mumsy2three:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Have you heard that the polar bear and the grizzly bear have actually started breeding and are creating a pizzly (yes that's the word they are using).  This thing can grow HUGE and is extremely dangerous.

I've not heard this. Sounds scary!

I thought so.  I actually thought he was joking around with me when he told me and he went in to get the magazine and showed it to me.  It's amazing since I didn't realize they could interbreed like that.  I mean mocking birds and cardinals don't breed together, lions and tigers don't breed.

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM
Originally from SoCal love that exhibit

Quoting atlmom2:

Giant Pandas in San Diego
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM
My Fave though is the polar bears
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wakymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:29 AM

If you can catch them awake, the Kodiak bears at our zoo are fun to watch. Our polar just looks sad all the time- we used to have to, but one died several yrs ago, and the one left just kind of swims, naps, and mopes around : (

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:17 AM

That part made me giggle :)  My DH did training in Alaska in November right after we started dating.  To this day he swears that if he ever gets orders to Alaska he will drop his retirement paperwork that day! LOL  He wouldn't survive Alaska for sure :)

Quoting drfink:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Have you heard that the polar bear and the grizzly bear have actually started breeding and are creating a pizzly (yes that's the word they are using).  This thing can grow HUGE and is extremely dangerous.

Really ?

That would be a real concern in places like Anchorage.Brown bears are not extremely aggressive and are everywhere but polar bears are very aggressive but rarely come south into populated communities.We saw lots of bear when we were in Anchorage in their late spring but they left when we raised our arms and shouted unless we were salmon fishing.Then we left the fish and we left...lol...made our oldest son upset.He lived there...he said we were training the bear to scare of fisherman to get an easy lunch.haha so we were supposed to take the fish and leave ????The bear would follow...sometimes I am surprised he survived Alaska.

Just looked this up ...wow 

luckysevenwow
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Awe, I love polar bears.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:13 AM

Polar Bears!    They look so cuddly... yet are so vicious.

fammatthews4
by Trisha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:22 AM

Polar Bears

drfink
by Emily on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:04 AM

He loved Alaska but was happy to leave.When he is independently wealthy ; ) he would like to summer for a couple of months there then get the heck out each year.He was there for almost 2 1/2 years except deployments.He didn't like the winters.He thought it was funny that for games like Army-Air Force everyone went to the sports bars at 6 in the morning to get a good seat...due to the time difference.

He is having a hard time right now.After he was weaned off his meds for the neuropathy caused by his injuries and his redline dropped the nueropathy slowly returned .He fought it but is being put on temp med retirement.His MOS is only off base at O-3 level so hands that have seizures are dangerous to him and others.The military is taking very good care of him with full retirement benefits but he had always considered career.Plus his neuropathy knocks out all the jobs he had ever considered if and when he left the military...secret service ,special agent FBI.He has been interviewing and has a job as med equip sales rep but he is very disappointed.It is weird I always worried when he was deployed and if he had chosen to separate I would have been relieved but this breaks my heart  for him.The truth is and he knows it deep inside he can't be deployed with the damage caused by his injuries.Still it is hard.I have been going back and forth to see him.I am going back up when he starts checking out...oh my gosh the list of places to get signed out is endless.His sweet gf is a teacher and offered to take a day to hang with him till she saw the list ,it is going to take days.

It has been interesting the stuff he discusses with his dad vs me.All the tech aspects of fighting against and being medically retired for dad ,I get the emotions.I think he still puts a front up a bit for his gf.

Quoting fammatthews4:

That part made me giggle :)  My DH did training in Alaska in November right after we started dating.  To this day he swears that if he ever gets orders to Alaska he will drop his retirement paperwork that day! LOL  He wouldn't survive Alaska for sure :)

Quoting drfink:

Quoting fantasticfour:

Really ?

That would be a real concern in places like Anchorage.Brown bears are not extremely aggressive and are everywhere but polar bears are very aggressive but rarely come south into populated communities.We saw lots of bear when we were in Anchorage in their late spring but they left when we raised our arms and shouted unless we were salmon fishing.Then we left the fish and we left...lol...made our oldest son upset.He lived there...he said we were training the bear to scare of fisherman to get an easy lunch.haha so we were supposed to take the fish and leave ????The bear would follow...sometimes I am surprised he survived Alaska.

Just looked this up ...wow 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN