Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Hey mom's so I was wondering how many of you chose to have your child given this series of shots?

Boys? Girls?

What do you think?

Both of my older sons, ages 13 and 11 will be getting the first one today :)

EDIT: Mom's who chose not to get the shot's...I am not trying to be rude by responding :) thanks for sharing...it is your choice and I have no right to question it :)

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (41-50):
MansfieldMama
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I would switch doctors after an incident like this.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

I will admit that I don't know much about this shot.  But my ped. pitched a fit when I declined to give consent.  

I took my son for his yearly check up (he is 12) and he needed a shot for school menigitis or something like that.  The dr says he needs a booster and goes off to get everything in order.  She came back with 3 needles and a small box and begins to inject my son.  Luckily I asked why 4 seperate things for 2 shots.  These are the shots he needs.  I ALMOST let it go when the mommy alarm went off in head.  I asked which one did he just get and whats next.  She explained he just received the meng. one and next was the booster then gardasil then a nosil spray for the flu.  

I refrained from saying are you f**king me lady? I instead calmy asked why she was about to inject my son WITHOUT consent????  She actaully said well everyone gets them.  I said Ummmm not everyone!  The look of the judgement was priceless.  

This from the same woman not 20 minutes earlier questioned me as to why I bring my son to another doctor?  Confused I said I don't and inquired why she would think that.  She said we only have records of him coming in once a year for checkups.  Even MORE confused I said ok and....waiting for a reasonable answer.  To which she said you HAVE to bring him here when he is sick so we have a complete medical history.  I said you have a complete history what are you talking about.  Then she accused me of getting black market antibiotics by saying you cant just give him meds from anywhere you know.  

Still feeling like I was in Twilight zone I said look I have no idea what you are talking about I am not seeing another doctor nor am I giving my son ANY meds of ANY kind except for an occasional anti-imflammatory for the football season.  In a very 2yr old voice say well you have to be taking him somewhere when he gets sicks because we both know it isnt here. I said of course it isnt here she interrupted and said thats exactly what I am talking about then.  I told if you would let me finish it is here or anywhere because LUCKILY my son doesnt get sick enough to warrant a doctors visit maybe a runny nose or slight cough but nothing some rest and vitamin C cant cure.  She literally didnt believe with my son agreeing and telling her that he hasnt missed a day of school in 3 years.

So due to all that fun needless to say I wasnt interesting in conversing with her any further to get infomation about gardasil for boys.

I would love to hear from moms of boys about their decisions for or against it.  I again dont know more than it protects against HPV.  I also wasnt aware that boys where effected by HPV I thought it was only girls.  So please share your insight. 

MJP76
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Probably not. It hasn't been on the market long enough for my liking..

I also turn down the flu shot.

Teletubby836
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd is now 14 the last time she was at the ped I asked him about her getting the shot. He was all for getting the shot but he doesn't administer or keep the meds onhand. I have to take her to the GYN doctor for that. I feel this will be a great introduction to the gyn for her, we have openly discussed birth control, STD's and all that. If I take her for just a shot I feel it will be an introduction for her to the gyn which can be a scarey thing for a young woman. My oldest is 29, I did offer to take her to the gyn but she declined then college happened. She went to her first gyn appointment 2 yrs ago and she is now expecting our first granddaughter. I want the 14 yr old to go and have the checkups that every woman needs yearly by the time she is 18. After the injection introduction she won't be so afraid and will at least be familar with the doctor when she has to fully undress for him.

So YES I will be taking my daughter for these shots. My thinking is that the risk of getting the horrid disease far outweigh the side effects that the injection may cause. Her ped (whom I trust and have taken the girls to for 20+ years) says that yes he does recommend it for MY daughter. I didn't realize they also had the shot for the boys too though!!

CTBmom
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this
they recommend it for boys because even though boys obviously cannot get cervical cancer, they can spread the virus that can cause it. while I have stressed to my son how important it is to practice safe sex, it doesn't mean that he won't ever be careless. I like knowing that he will never be responsible for spreading the virus to a girl that could potentially turn into cervical cancer :-)

Quoting Teletubby836:

My dd is now 14 the last time she was at the ped I asked him about her getting the shot. He was all for getting the shot but he doesn't administer or keep the meds onhand. I have to take her to the GYN doctor for that. I feel this will be a great introduction to the gyn for her, we have openly discussed birth control, STD's and all that. If I take her for just a shot I feel it will be an introduction for her to the gyn which can be a scarey thing for a young woman. My oldest is 29, I did offer to take her to the gyn but she declined then college happened. She went to her first gyn appointment 2 yrs ago and she is now expecting our first granddaughter. I want the 14 yr old to go and have the checkups that every woman needs yearly by the time she is 18. After the injection introduction she won't be so afraid and will at least be familar with the doctor when she has to fully undress for him.

So YES I will be taking my daughter for these shots. My thinking is that the risk of getting the horrid disease far outweigh the side effects that the injection may cause. Her ped (whom I trust and have taken the girls to for 20+ years) says that yes he does recommend it for MY daughter. I didn't realize they also had the shot for the boys too though!!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WandaSue
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

thanks for sharing ladies! :)

Quoting CTBmom:

they recommend it for boys because even though boys obviously cannot get cervical cancer, they can spread the virus that can cause it. while I have stressed to my son how important it is to practice safe sex, it doesn't mean that he won't ever be careless. I like knowing that he will never be responsible for spreading the virus to a girl that could potentially turn into cervical cancer :-)

Quoting Teletubby836:

WandaSue
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:35 PM

thanks for sharing ladies! :) both my boys got the shot yesterday, and they are doing good so far...arm a little sore (like a tetnus shot)

I would so change doctors! They sound a bit crazzy to me.

I sat down with my boys and we talke about getting this vaccine (if thy didn't want to, they wouldn't have gotten it) i think it makes total senseto vaccinate the boys, since they usually are the HPV carriers :)

Quoting MansfieldMama:

I would switch doctors after an incident like this.

Quoting CaileighsMom608:

I will admit that I don't know much about this shot.  But my ped. pitched a fit when I declined to give consent.  

I took my son for his yearly check up (he is 12) and he needed a shot for school menigitis or something like that.  The dr says he needs a booster and goes off to get everything in order.  She came back with 3 needles and a small box and begins to inject my son.  Luckily I asked why 4 seperate things for 2 shots.  These are the shots he needs.  I ALMOST let it go when the mommy alarm went off in head.  I asked which one did he just get and whats next.  She explained he just received the meng. one and next was the booster then gardasil then a nosil spray for the flu.  

I refrained from saying are you f**king me lady? I instead calmy asked why she was about to inject my son WITHOUT consent????  She actaully said well everyone gets them.  I said Ummmm not everyone!  The look of the judgement was priceless.  

This from the same woman not 20 minutes earlier questioned me as to why I bring my son to another doctor?  Confused I said I don't and inquired why she would think that.  She said we only have records of him coming in once a year for checkups.  Even MORE confused I said ok and....waiting for a reasonable answer.  To which she said you HAVE to bring him here when he is sick so we have a complete medical history.  I said you have a complete history what are you talking about.  Then she accused me of getting black market antibiotics by saying you cant just give him meds from anywhere you know.  

Still feeling like I was in Twilight zone I said look I have no idea what you are talking about I am not seeing another doctor nor am I giving my son ANY meds of ANY kind except for an occasional anti-imflammatory for the football season.  In a very 2yr old voice say well you have to be taking him somewhere when he gets sicks because we both know it isnt here. I said of course it isnt here she interrupted and said thats exactly what I am talking about then.  I told if you would let me finish it is here or anywhere because LUCKILY my son doesnt get sick enough to warrant a doctors visit maybe a runny nose or slight cough but nothing some rest and vitamin C cant cure.  She literally didnt believe with my son agreeing and telling her that he hasnt missed a day of school in 3 years.

So due to all that fun needless to say I wasnt interesting in conversing with her any further to get infomation about gardasil for boys.

I would love to hear from moms of boys about their decisions for or against it.  I again dont know more than it protects against HPV.  I also wasnt aware that boys where effected by HPV I thought it was only girls.  So please share your insight. 

WandaSue
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:37 PM

My doctors office had a great pamphlet for it :)

Quoting Barabell:

We have not discussed it with my son or with his doctor yet.

So undecided.

WandaSue
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

thanks for sharing :)

Quoting TJFBGMommy:

Absolutely not, they don't have any idea what the long term side effects are, it's just way too new and they haven't done near enough testing on it.

WandaSue
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:38 PM

thanks! yeah i don't really understand why their is an age limit on it either :)

Quoting LuckyMom822:

Yes my dd has taken it and I have. I'm not sure why there is an age limit but my doc gave it to me when I was 30 or so. No side effects for me or dd. I had to give my kid the chicken pox vaccine when it was relatively new and that's just chicken pox. Preventing cancer is more important IMO. 

WandaSue
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:39 PM

agreed! thanks mama :)

Quoting Manth:

Both of my girls (aged 16 and 18) got it when it was offered at school - they were about 14 I think.  We have a strong family history of cervical cancer so anything that can help reduce the risk was worthwhile in my book.  They had no side effects from the shot, nor did any of their class mates.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)