Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Hey mom's so I was wondering how many of you chose to have your child given this series of shots?

Boys? Girls?

What do you think?

Both of my older sons, ages 13 and 11 will be getting the first one today :)

EDIT: Mom's who chose not to get the shot's...I am not trying to be rude by responding :) thanks for sharing...it is your choice and I have no right to question it :)

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Replies (61-70):
emmy526
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:47 AM
emmy526
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:49 AM

exerpt from a friend of mine who got this vax:

Quote:

The first round my arm swelled like a balloon and hurt so bad I couldn't drive for a day. Second round I had the same swelling and a fever for a good 24 hours. The third round was the same story with symptoms lasting probably about 3 days. Miserable. All of this for a sexually transmitted disease I will probably NEVER contract. Grrrrr.

21lisa72
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:56 PM

My son age 13 had his full series its best to protect, he was not happy about it but I explained to him when he gets older and has sex he could get diseases that cant be cured and this will help.

zacmacsmomm
by Bronze Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:47 PM

I also have friends who's daughters have gotten the shot with NO problems.  I think like everything else, there is not right or wrong.  Trust mommy instincts :) 

Quoting WandaSue:

oh wow! thank you for sharing! hugs

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

I was thinking about it years ago when it first came out.  My daughter was way too young at the time.  I was watching my son wrestle and met a mom who's daughter got the shot and it triggered an auto-immune disease.  I believe it was fatal.  So, no my daughter is not going to get the shot, if she chooses to as an adult (she's 13), then that will be her choice.  My son who is 19 did not and will not get it at all.  He was born with a genetic form of cancer and congenital heart defects, I'm not chancing it with him.  On the other hand I have a good friend who just finished treatment for cervical cancer, the one that Gardisil proects against, she went from stage one cancer to stage 3 in a week.  She had internal and external radiation and chemo.

WandaSue
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

:) that's the same thing we did

Quoting 21lisa72:

My son age 13 had his full series its best to protect, he was not happy about it but I explained to him when he gets older and has sex he could get diseases that cant be cured and this will help.

WandaSue
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:41 AM

:)

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

I also have friends who's daughters have gotten the shot with NO problems.  I think like everything else, there is not right or wrong.  Trust mommy instincts :) 

Quoting WandaSue:

oh wow! thank you for sharing! hugs

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

I was thinking about it years ago when it first came out.  My daughter was way too young at the time.  I was watching my son wrestle and met a mom who's daughter got the shot and it triggered an auto-immune disease.  I believe it was fatal.  So, no my daughter is not going to get the shot, if she chooses to as an adult (she's 13), then that will be her choice.  My son who is 19 did not and will not get it at all.  He was born with a genetic form of cancer and congenital heart defects, I'm not chancing it with him.  On the other hand I have a good friend who just finished treatment for cervical cancer, the one that Gardisil proects against, she went from stage one cancer to stage 3 in a week.  She had internal and external radiation and chemo.

WandaSue
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:42 AM

:( that stinks! my kiddos arms were just a little sore, but they are better now

Quoting emmy526:

exerpt from a friend of mine who got this vax:

Quote:

The first round my arm swelled like a balloon and hurt so bad I couldn't drive for a day. Second round I had the same swelling and a fever for a good 24 hours. The third round was the same story with symptoms lasting probably about 3 days. Miserable. All of this for a sexually transmitted disease I will probably NEVER contract. Grrrrr.

WandaSue
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:44 AM

Quoting Mainegirl:

Yes my son ended up getting it.

WandaSue
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quoting CTBmom:

I think that loving and trusting your kids' pediatrician is SO important! You're entrusting your child's well being to him or her. My son's pedi was my younger sister and brother's doctor when they were children, so I've known this man for 30 years. He's taken care of my boy since birth, and I could NOT have more trust or respect for him, as a doctor and as a person :-) 

Quoting WandaSue:

:) we absolutely love our pedi too! :)

Quoting CTBmom:

Yes, my 15 yr-old ds had the series of shots just after his 13th bday. His pediatrician recommended it for him, and I totally trust him.

WandaSue
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Quoting vtmommyof2bratz:

both my girls got these shots - it runs in my family so better safe than sorry 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)