Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

Frenectomy....

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM
  • 10 Replies

Did any of your children or anyone you know have this procedure called FRENECTOMY done? The dentist  said that my 9yr old may need that procedure done?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:46 PM

I had to look it up.  From the way it sounds I thought it was the surgical removal of a friend.  From what I saw online it was a relatively common procedure.

diaperstodating
by Angel on Feb. 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Never heard of it
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sabrtooth1
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I'm a dental hygienist, and yes, I've seen a  fair amount of kids who needed it done.  A FRENUM is that band of tissue right in the middle of the inside of the lip, that attaches the upper lip to the upper jaw bone, and the lower lip to the lower jaw bone, and also that band of tissue under the tongue that attaches it to the lower jaw. 

If the attachment to the jawbone is too near the teeth, or sometimes even BETWEEN the teeth, it will force the teeth apart, or if the frenum is too short and restricts movement of the lips or tongue, it will affect speech.  In these cases, the dentist will suggest a consultation with an oral surgeon, who will do the frenectomy, which means they just cut a little "bite" out of the frenum, lengthening it.  It is a very common procedure, completely painless, almost bloodless (TOTALLY bloodless if they use a laser), and heals quickly.     

02nana07
by Ida on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:08 PM

never heard of it but from the replies it sounds common

Barabell
by Barbara on Feb. 27, 2013 at 7:26 PM

I've never heard of it before. I also had to google it. I agree that it sounds like a common procedure. I'm sure your 9 yo will be fine.

bizzeemom2717
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:13 AM
Good luck to your 9 year old, have heard of it but know no one personally. Here is a bump..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof98and03
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Really feel nice to share my thoughts, anxieties here and you guys are wonderful. You advice so patiently. I am glad I found this site and this group of moms.  Thanks to all! 

girlsclubmom
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:26 PM

It was recommended that my dd has this before we did braces. we decided to put it off until after braces.

VickyJoJo
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:34 PM

I had it down myself (at the age of 40) because my gums were receding.  I had it done at the same time as I was getting a gum graft in the same area.  It was easy and the most painless part of the work I had done.  G

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM
Yep, that's what I first thought! Surgical removal from a friend :-) lol!

Quoting fantasticfour:

I had to look it up.  From the way it sounds I thought it was the surgical removal of a friend.  From what I saw online it was a relatively common procedure.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN