Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

How to make friends at new place??

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
  • 12 Replies

We moved to a  different place and I am stay home mom and finding it difficult to make new friends. And, thats also the reason I kind of feel lonely these days. I am used to having people coming over to my house anytime of the day, most of the times without prior intimation too. I dont mind that and now I am really missing all that.  Does making friends get harder as you grow older?? Is that for everyone??

Any suggestions on how to make friends.  I know its probably kind of silly question for you guys but just tell what you think. Thanks to all.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fammatthews4
by Trisha on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:33 PM

We are a military family so we've done alot of moving. Things that I did to make friends after moving were: when the kids were small I would take them to reading programs at the library, they would make friends and so would I.  You can also check at the library for reading groups or other adult groups (I know ours has knitting groups, class on using the computer, etc.)  I would look into classes on something that I enjoyed, since I'm into crafting I would look into classes offered at one of the craft stores.  Also if you have school aged kids volunteering at the school is a good way to meet other mothers.

MJP76
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:42 PM

I just find as I get older that I don't really like to bother with people. I have never liked people just dropping by.

when we moved here 3 years ago if it weren't for all of our neighbors, greeting us in our driveway the day we were moving in we would have stayed to ourselves.. I really like my neighbors, and we get together occasionally. And we celebrate Halloween and NYE together as a whole cal-de-sac kinda thing... But for the most part we still kinda stay to ourselves.

atlmom2
by Susie on Mar. 1, 2013 at 5:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I moved a LOT. I joined Newcomers clubs, and or a women's club. Networked through those type clubs. As kids get older it is harder. Sometimes made friends from some of my girls friends Moms. I scrapbook and found a great group of women to scrapbook once a week.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JodyLane555
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:29 PM
I was in the same place 5 yrs ago moving from fla to tn. i was a stay at home mom and homeschooled. we also had lots of friends and people stopping by often. i felt very lonely. i tried meetup. com and met some people.but no one i really liked. i met a few ppl on cafe mom. be careful though alwys talk on the phone first and meet at a public place. i have a small bus now and my kids are in school so i meet other moms and more people but i met my new closest friend on a local facebook group! it takes time. go to the library join a book club. find activities in town you enjoy. start a walking club. join a gym or volunteer!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this

My closest friends are some of my neighbors. I stay away from the drama queens. Th ones who are genuinely nice people are the ones I hang out with. We watch each others kids, carpool to school, help with organizing garage sales. If you live in a subdivision, simply walking around the block and talking to people out in their yards could work. Otherwise, I would look into a gym, church, yoga class, kid activities where you are with other moms. I think most women are looking for other good women to hang out with. You probably won't have a hard time.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LuckyMom822:

My closest friends are some of my neighbors. I stay away from the drama queens. Th ones who are genuinely nice people are the ones I hang out with. We watch each others kids, carpool to school, help with organizing garage sales. If you live in a subdivision, simply walking around the block and talking to people out in their yards could work. Otherwise, I would look into a gym, church, yoga class, kid activities where you are with other moms. I think most women are looking for other good women to hang out with. You probably won't have a hard time.

My closest friends are my neighbors.   Most friends I have met through my childrens' school and activities.... it is harder when they grow older.      I agree that participating in events or activities that interest you is the best way to meet people you will share common interests with.     Take a cake decorating class, volunteer..... go to the park.   Give it a little time, as the weather warms up, more people will be out and about.

fantasticfour
by Grumpy on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:23 PM

Making friends gets really hard as you get older.  Try going to do some local events or meet some of the neighbors by going for walks.  You can also talk to some of your kid's friends moms.

flprincessmom
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I have experienced the same thing....we moved from our home state of NY to Fl not knowing anyone and it seems extremely difficult to meet sincere friends...it seems even the people I have met a the different churches I have attended are not so trustworthy as to not be back stabbers or drama queens......I have tried to make friends with the neighbors in the complexes where we have lived and even to make friends with the parent(s) of the kids my kids hang with...but again...they talk behind your back or are just not honest people....so I just chose to stay to my self and chat with my long time friends and family back home......it does get lonely, but I would rather be lonely then to be involved in some sort of drama or bull shit...

DarlaHood
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:17 AM

All the suggestions above are great.  You can meet friends at any of them.  And you'll likely meet some good and some not so good.  You could have a driveway Barbecue or pot luck and invite all your neighbors.  You could also host a meet and greet with your kids' classmates and parents.  You can encourage your kids to participate in classes and sports, and invite families to join you for pizza after. You can organize a book, cooking, photography, or crafting club and invite neighbors and moms from the school.  Good luck.

Not_A_Native
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:52 AM

I was in the same situation 18 years ago.

Volunteer, especially in "visible" places, where other kids and parents see you a lot.  Join a gym, and take a class.  Both of these are how I made most of my friends.  My neighbors weren't a good choice - most of them had no kids, or the kids were much older - different type of thing.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN