Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Moms with Teens Moms with Teens

12 yr old riding a city bus...advice

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 33 Replies

My daughter will be 12 in September.  She will begin middle school next school year.  We have 3 middle schools.  The one in our area she would have to walk to, its about a 15 minute walk.  It is an Arts based school (elective classes are Cultural Art, Theater, and Media).  The other school we are considering is an Environmental Science theme school (electives being Environmental Art, Environmental Technology and Advanced Technology plus they do alot of outdoor gym activities and conservation projects in the area).

She LOVES science and wants to go to college for Environmental Engineering.  She is not one for being infront of others doing theater and singing and such.  The only catch is the Environmenal Science school is not in our area so we would have to provide transportation for her to get there every day.  I leave for work before the school opens so can not take her.  I don't want to count on other family members taking her everyday.  Her dad doesn't work right now but could possibly get a job and will not be able to take her.  

My mom mentioned the idea of her riding the city bus to school.  The bus goes near our house and drives past the school.  But the thought of her riding the city bus is a little uneasy for me.  She has always attended school with me where I teach and has never had to ride a bus to school. 

So its either suck it up and let her ride the city bus to enrich her learning or have her walk to the other school where I don't think she will flourish as much and will not enjoy the classes offered.

The last option is to stay with me at my school but they do not offer advanced classes for her bc its such a small school and we don't have the sports she is interested in.

Would you feel comfortable letting your 12 year old ride a city bus to school each day? And I will not be home when she leaves to catch it.  She's responsible enough where I would let her catch the school bus alone when Im not home...just not too fond of the idea being a city bus not a school bus.  

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CaileighsMom608
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Are there any parent car pools that maybe drive passed your house and could pick her up if you offered gas money each week?

Do know if that is a possiblity but would def be a solution and would put your mind at ease.  See if the school has a PTO that can connect you with some other moms with that same problem

flprincessmom
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:57 PM

It depends......if she is "street smart" then I would not have a problem with it....she should definitely have a cell phone with her.  Does she know which stop she would have to get off at?  My son (now 16) & my daughter (7) have been riding the city bus all their lives pretty much and have gotten used tom the way of it....my son has been going on the city bus alone to friends house or the mall or library since he was in 6th grade.....but then again, he rode a school bus since Kindergarten......if the Environmental school is where she wants to go then I would give her sort of a crash course and ride the bus with her a few times before she starts there and make sure she knows what to do in the event she misses her stop or if the bus is running late and so forth.....

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:14 PM

I have never ridden a city bus so my knowledge is limited. So here's a bump for ya.

LuckyMom822
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

BUMP!

hollydaze1974
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM
I'd be okay with it. Sit as close to the driver as possible and keep he iPod/ m3 player on the whole time and pretend to read as to look less approachable and she should be fine. Dad can even speak to the driver I'd if it would help calm you. 12 is old enough to speak up loudly if needed. I think she'll be fine.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Msgme
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:15 PM

I'm havng the same issue except my dd will be 11.  she's applied to several schools and all but one will require to take some kind of public transportation.  She could even end having to take the subway and then a bus.. I'm not thrilled with it the idea and really want them to hurry up and let us know what shchool she will be going to so I can figure out how she'll get to school.   My older two take the subway (different subways ) and it just took some getting used to.  but they are 14 and 16.

katydon
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:02 PM

walking could be just as dangerous as riding the bus. not to say that either of those are dangerous. it really depends on your neighborhood and if you feel safe. i think you should let her use the bus. at least she would have a ride to school and wouldn't have to walk.

fullxbusymom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Nope I wouldn't feel comfortable with my high school kids riding a city bus. 

jadedcynic
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:28 PM

My 12 yo son occasionally rides the city bus to school when he misses his regular bus (okay, quite frequently). His ride is one bus with no transfers. He does pretty well. I stopped riding with him a few months ago.

boys2men2soon
by Kimberly on Mar. 2, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I am not particularly fond of city busses, and my kids have lived within walking diatance to all their schools, as did I while growing up....    but it sounds like it is the best choice for your DD.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)